Is my Sod DOA??

ccrunnerboy613

LawnSite Member
Hello Lawnsite Experts!

I am hoping someone here would be kind enough to let me know their opinion about my newly sodded lawn below. We had to have some grading work done on the slope behind our home, and the Bobcat tore up our yard. The landscaper laid down new sod following completion of the job. Here is a picture of how the sod looked no more than 6 hours after being installed:
20210615_200542.jpg

When I brought up the questionable condition, his answer was "If there is even a single piece of green on the section, that means the sod is alive and it should green up with proper watering".

I did the "Tug Test" and most of the brown parts just rip off the section. When I do the "Tug Test" on the green sod sections, the whole section lifts up from the ground.

I think the landscaper might deny that anything was wrong with the sod, because almost all of these brown sections do have at least 1 or 2 green blades of grass somewhere in them. I am at a loss on how to make a case that the sod was dead upon installation, any advice is appreciated!!

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Water it, see if it pops, but put the installer on notice if it is not to your satisfaction to have him replace the dead sod. May also want to get a 2nd opinion....
Also do you know the condition of the dirt before the sod was put down? Was there amendments tilled in? Or was it bare dirt?

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Its bermuda, water the hell out of it. Its almost impossible to kill it, unless it was dormant too long from lack of water.

As in soak it now, but keep it evenly moist for about a week. Would probably take 30 minutes twice a day just on that area because its a downhill grade. If you walk out and its squishy, taper it back, but it needs water.

If its not greening up at all or starting to root in after 1-1.5 weeks of that, then it likely died and he should replace.

OP
C

ccrunnerboy613

LawnSite Member
Water it, see if it pops, but put the installer on notice if it is not to your satisfaction to have him replace the dead sod. May also want to get a 2nd opinion....
Also do you know the condition of the dirt before the sod was put down? Was there amendments tilled in? Or was it bare dirt?

The sod was laid on top of red clay fill dirt - no amendments, nothing extra. This is Lennar we are talking about, they could care less about quality or customer satisfaction. As a side note...this whole saga started because Lennar left that back slope essentially bare soil, with a slope that approached 1:1 (45 degrees) in places. I fought them for 3 months to fix it, I finally got the city to come out and inspect it, the city said that it wasnt up to code and it shouldn't have passed the Inspection in the first place....

Lennar's landscaper insists the sod is alive, and so to him, if it still looks like that in 4 weeks, the only possible explanation is that I didn't care for it properly. He said sod is not under warranty because they cannot prove that I watered it according to their recommendations. I pointed to my conveniently-placed home security camera and said "well my time-stamped HD security system can prove that"... he says "security camera footage can be photoshopped, it doesn't prove anything".... seriously???

At any rate, I will follow those suggestions and hope for the best. I've put them on notice and I am saving the recordings of the watering sessions for future reference.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
On the really brown pieces are roots present? Is there actually dirt and a root system on the bottom of the piece? On a pallet we will usually get a handful or two where the cutting blade rose too high and no roots or dirt to be found. We chunk those and don't install those pieces as they will absolutely die even if a few blades of grass are still alive. You will know immediately as the sod piece will weigh a fraction of what a green piece will.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Also drop some starter fert to get those roots going on it as I can guarantee this company didn't. Don't go overboard on the fert though. Second thought wait as the landscape company will probably blame you for burning it out with fert if it doesn't live.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello Lawnsite Experts!

I am hoping someone here would be kind enough to let me know their opinion about my newly sodded lawn below. We had to have some grading work done on the slope behind our home, and the Bobcat tore up our yard. The landscaper laid down new sod following completion of the job. Here is a picture of how the sod looked no more than 6 hours after being installed:
View attachment 445891

When I brought up the questionable condition, his answer was "If there is even a single piece of green on the section, that means the sod is alive and it should green up with proper watering".

I did the "Tug Test" and most of the brown parts just rip off the section. When I do the "Tug Test" on the green sod sections, the whole section lifts up from the ground.

I think the landscaper might deny that anything was wrong with the sod, because almost all of these brown sections do have at least 1 or 2 green blades of grass somewhere in them. I am at a loss on how to make a case that the sod was dead upon installation, any advice is appreciated!!
You’re not supposed to tug on it when it’s only 6 hours old!

it takes days to even begin to stick!

Top Forums