Is my Sod DOA??

Smokindog

LawnSite Senior Member
As I posted above, in limited experience when it had simply gone dormant from heat/water on the pallet, within about 10-12 days of keeping it watered well I began to see Bermuda growing in nearly every part of every piece of sod. At that point in time I began to slowly spoon feed it with 13-13-13. I think rolling it a few times the first week while almost "squishy wet" helped but no scientific proof.

Hope you'll report back. I took daily pictures, same time, same vantage point through the process and found it interesting. But I'm weird that way :)

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
A 10/20/10 is considered a “starter fertilizer” and will aid in root development for the sod. As briefed by others, water frequently for the first couple weeks will help.

if getting pieces from big box stores, try to befriend the garden center manager to see when they are going to get a delivery. That way you put the odds in your favor of getting good product.

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
If I just need 10 rolls or less I buy them from Home Depot or lowes for 50% more. Where I am they get the delivery every Monday in the evening. I have the number of the driver that deals with my area so I can find out if he is late.

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
I think it's funny that the box stores even try to sell the sod here. They order a full pallet or 2 pallets, then only 1/3 of it is sold within 2 days which is about the max time they will be good for. I'm always confounded that they will leave the old rolls sitting for the whole week, sometimes cooking in the afternoon sun.

notoriousSTV

LawnSite Member
U can take left over Bermuda sod, lay it down on concrete or as we do with leftovers on tarps keep it watered and it will live. Watering is the key. For the OP. I think your sod will be fine. Keep it watered heavily for the next week. Luckily it's raining all weekend here in atlanta

Top Forums