1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is something eating my centipede?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cej93, Jul 24, 2009.

1. cej93

cej93 LawnSite Member

I cut my lawn on Tuesday the 21st and it looked pretty good. Without fail a day or two later it looks like something is eating on it; has a reddish tint to the end of the blades of grass; if it is supposed to be this way it just seems weird. I just bought this place in December and it was sodded with the centipede so I don't know all that much about the grass. I took some pictures today to try to show you guys what I am talking about. It seems a lot of centipede in the area looks like this ??? Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Eric

Closeup1.jpg

Closeup2.jpg

Closeup3.jpg

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

3. cej93

cej93 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll check that out !

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Bronze Member

yes spittle bugs will damage centipede. and i'm not to familar with centipede but down here if a wrong herbicide is used it will produce red/ purple blades of grass... phytotoxicity.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Many types of plants will have a red pigment; if the chlorophyll degrades, the red becomes visible. Dryness followed by wetness might do this.