1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Is something wrong with my Super Z?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by loborojo338, Apr 19, 2005.

1. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

I have a new Super Z with a 28 EFI Kohler(8 hours).The problem I am having is when I push both levers all the way forward it whants to jerk like there is a problem with the hydros, if I slowly move them forward all the way it does not do it. Is this normal or do I need to have it checked out? :help:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Nothing wrong there.
    You need to realize, you bought a unit with pumps twice the size of most mowers out there, they flow twice as much oil, so they are a bit sensitive, you just need to get used to the controls on the Super Z.
    Also, the engine (EFI) is very powerful and responsive, most engines out there will "bog" a bit when fully engaging the hydros on a mower, not the case with yours.
    I feel after a few hours of running the unit you will be used to it.

Pj

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

It sounds like air in the lines to me. After changing the filter this spring I had it pretty bad. I put her up on blocks and gave her full forward and after a few minutes I took her down and she seems fine now.

4. loborojo338

loborojo338 LawnSite Member

Thanks I will try that. I may have described my problem wrong.When I give it full forward it shudders like something is slipping.But if I am already going forward at about quarter speed and give it full forward it accelerates very smooth.

5. Sriggs

Sriggs LawnSite Member

It also could be your resovior is filled to high if you have changed your filter and or fuild in the hydro system. That's the problem I had. when I put one of the arms forward it would make a grinding noise. I finally figured out that there was fluid over flowing out of the resovior. I filled it just a little to high and that's how it started to sucking air. The cap on the resovior is a two way cap it can let fluid out if it over flows. they call for you to fill one inch below the medal screen. just tought I would share if this will be the case or is the case.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

What you described makes perfect sense, and I do still believe there is air in the lines. I can on occasion give it full throttle from a stop and get a slight shudder. Yours may not be bad, and I imagine it would work itself out in time even if you did not jack it up as I described.

Good luck

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Super Z pumps also have a pressure valve that will relieve pressure if to much is applied at once, that is likely what your feeling.

Pj