1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Is subbing out work allowed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. echeandia

    echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,131

    Suppose I have a service agreement with a homeowner to maintain their lawn. I don't have a contractors license so I can't legally put a shovel in the ground. One day the homeowner call me and asks me to do a small landscaping job. They want me to plant some shrubs a tree or two and build a small dry stack wall. I tell them that I can't do the work because I am not licensed. They insist, because the like me so much, that I find and supervise another landscaper who can do the work legally. Here are my questions:

    1) Can I sub out work that I am not legally allowed to do?
    2) What are my liabilities in this situation?

  2. PatriotLandscape

    PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA
    Messages: 1,209

    Are you sure you need a contractors license?

    Yes you could sub it out but as long as you call dig-safe and keep the job small you should be fine.
  3. echeandia

    echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,131

    Here in Virginia in order to put a shovel in the ground you need a contractors license. There are several types of contractors and landscape contractor is one of them. So, the answer to your question is yes you need a license.

    So my question is can a non-contractor sub out to a contractor still stands.
  4. bigmudder77

    bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 297

    make him sign a paper stating that he gave you permission to do the work on his proprity and get it noterized or how ever you spell that

    (like when you get a car out of your name and in to some one elses)

    that should work
  5. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    If you don't have a contractors license you can still sub out work to a licensed contractor to do the work. As long as the contractor has all the licenses and insurance he/she needs you will be fine you are just playing middle man. You can still make money even if your not doing the work, just get several bids from reputable contractors accept the one you want to do the work and charge a fee of 10% above the contractors fee. Let your customers know you will be there while the work is being done but remember when you sub out work the contractor is working for you not the customer.
  6. neighborstree

    neighborstree LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    same thing here in pa. contractors licenses are only 50 bucks tho, so go get one and go do the job
  7. echeandia

    echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,131

    The license application requires validation of two years experience. This is something I don't have right now.
  8. neighborstree

    neighborstree LawnSite Member
    Messages: 94

    oh i duno. lie ? or ask a friend or buddy if you could do the job under his name, his license ? thats what i would do
  9. Pristine PM

    Pristine PM LawnSite Member
    Messages: 208

    sorry, dumb question, but how do you get two years, when you can't get the 2 years due to a lack of a license?

Share This Page