is there a controller on the market with 2 Master Valve/Pump Ports?

aric10

LawnSite Member
Hi guys,
I have a client that is having issues with bore water staining and isn't interested in installing a filtration system. The front lawn station hits surfaces and mists onto cars leaving iron damage over time.
I was thinking of running that front station or 2 on mains water, but would that mean i would need to install a separate controller just for that? Or is there a controller on the market with two master valve/pump ports, to prevent pump operating when not needed?

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
Following- I don't see this enough to know . The last one I did this on was 10 years ago - Rain Bird MC40 Which came out in the late '90s- it did exactly what you are asking . For a booster pump- activating the 2nd pump for the top half of the system 125' above the first pump off the lake. The reality is anything you find wont justify the cost vs getting a seperate cheapo controller

Last edited:

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes

on some of the older controllers there have been work arounds for years

I don’t recall immediately off hand because I haven’t needed to use it in many years now
But the answer is yes

id have to have to hardware in front of me for more information

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
6BE820DD-994C-47DA-A9E0-D39B9653CCBF.png
6BE820DD-994C-47DA-A9E0-D39B9653CCBF.png

there is the wiring diagram from a hunter ACC

there you can clearly see two pump or master valve openings

This isn’t the only controller like
But you won’t find two spots until you have more expensive clocks/controllers

in fact cheaper clocks won’t have one at all

again there are work arounds
Sometimes it’s not the best option but I’ve seen dual clocks before, black in the day I used to rip these out and do upgrades often
Use a Munro smart box to run multiple pumps through one clock

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Hi guys,
I have a client that is having issues with bore water staining and isn't interested in installing a filtration system. The front lawn station hits surfaces and mists onto cars leaving iron damage over time.
I was thinking of running that front station or 2 on mains water, but would that mean i would need to install a separate controller just for that? Or is there a controller on the market with two master valve/pump ports, to prevent pump operating when not needed?
Are you saying you want to run 2 stations where staining is an issue on treated water (we usually call it "city" water over here) while the rest of the stations are run off of some sort of non-treated water?

As already mentioned it might be simpler and less costly to use a separate controller.

OP
A

aric10

LawnSite Member
Are you saying you want to run 2 stations where staining is an issue on treated water (we usually call it "city" water over here) while the rest of the stations are run off of some sort of non-treated water?

As already mentioned it might be simpler and less costly to use a separate controller.
Haha yes, I'm from Australia, we have totally different terminology!
That's all good. So our mains water supply/city water is clean drinking water. Our hard/bore/groundwater is the alternate option.

Thank you mitchgo, Tpendagast and ArTurf for your advice. It is much appreciated. I think we'll just have to go with another controller for the most cost-effective way to go about it. Cheers fellas

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
It would be possible to achieve a 'switched' water supply using any controller with the ability to set master valve operation by individual zone.

The major hassle in a setup like this is the need for RPZ backflow protection on the city water supply.

OP
A

aric10

LawnSite Member
It would be possible to achieve a 'switched' water supply using any controller with the ability to set master valve operation by individual zone.

The major hassle in a setup like this is the need for RPZ backflow protection on the city water supply.
Yes, I can do a separate mainline, that's the plan. It's more just being able to configure those stations separately so the pump relay doesn't start when they turn on.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
If I'm understanding this right you can use one controller that has the option to turn the MV/Pump terminal off by each station. It doesn't take a special controller since all the major brands we use over here can do this.

Top Forums