is there a design issue with Stihl Kombi blowers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ksJoe, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ksJoe

ksJoe LawnSite Senior Member

A few months ago I got a Stihl Kombi 131R (the big one), and really like it.

I'd like to add the blower (BG-KM). But when I was reading reviews I saw several reviews saying they've broke the shaft inside with when using it with a 131R. At least one reviewer claimed to have broke more than BG-KM. This includes the reviews on Stihl's own site.

I've emailed Stihl twice asking about this and asking if they have already or are working on a design update. They did not reply.

Leaves are falling and I'd like to buy a BG-KM...

Are any of you running this combination? any issues?
    Or has anyone looked into it and figured out its a non-issue?

2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

I have a KM 110R, and have had the BG-KM for some time with no issues.
    However, I do see what you mean about the reviews of broken shafts on the Stihl website. Dang, that's a lot!

One guess, is that maybe some of these are people not fully inserting the tool. One issue with the Kombi connection is that it can easily be poorly engaged, which will cause damage.

Or maybe the 130/131 is just too torquey for this attachment.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve used one on a km 90 powerhead. It works but it’s not a lot of blower. It’s probably in the same league as my 400 Stihl backpack. I had a 600 Stihl for about a year that was a lot better blower. Even better yet is the 800 series.

4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

A handheld machine in the same league as a 400 backpack is pretty damned impressive to me. Remember, it isn't a backpack, and isn't designed to compete with backpacks.

I don't think my BG-KM on my KM 110R has as much power as my BR500, but it is still a nice tool.

5. OP
    OP
    ksJoe

ksJoe LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I've read about that too. But from my reading, this is a separate issue. It sounds like people are snapping the shaft on the blower, and only with the 131R.

I really want one, I just want some idea of how likely it is to break first.

This is for personal use, so I like having less engines to maintain and less space required for storage.

Thanks for the input

rlitman and hort101 like this.
  6. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I’ve been using the blower with the 130 for 8 years and had no issues. I love that thing because it fits in my tool box and has great power for $100. Very underrated tool.

hort101 likes this.