Is there a mower on the planet that will cut THIS?? (see attached photo)

mcusa

LawnSite Member
Please have a look at the attached photo, and let me know what mower(s) you think would have the best chance of cutting such tall, thick grass with the least amount of stragglers. Here's more info:

* I'm not a lawn professional, but I mow about 5 acres weekly. However, one property (with lots of bahia) only gets mowed about every 2-3 weeks.
* Looking for a fully commercial zero (not residential or pro-sumer grade)
* Preferred deck size is 48", but I may be able to make 52" work
* I'm thinking mid-mount would work best. I've had a front-mount Walker side discharge for several years, and it's been a good mower. Lately, been using a family member's Bad Boy MZ, and I also like it.
* I prefer a high engine size-to-deck size ratio (the 27 hp motor on our Bad Boy MZ, with 48" deck, seems to be quite powerful. A mower with a 30hp motor & a 48" deck would be awesome, but I don't think any manufacturer over-horsepowers to that extent.
* Must have a push-pedal, as I use it constantly to feather the deck to prevent scalping.
* I cut a fair amount of bahia, and sometimes it can get out of control. Can you offer suggestions on one, or more, mowers that would have the best chance of mowing moderately thick bahia grass at a decent speed with the least amount of stragglers. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20210723_182547.jpg
    20210723_182547.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 301
  • 20210723_183008.jpg
    20210723_183008.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 298

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
In a single pass??

Grasshopper, Scag, Deere.

OP
M

mcusa

LawnSite Member
In a single pass??

Grasshopper, Scag, Deere.

* I've been scouring the forum, and I'm considering a Scag Tiger Cat. Many forum members say the Velocity 2 deck is THE BEST at cutting thick bahia in one pass. Would you agree with that?

* Some of the places I mow are a bit tight, so I'm not sure a front-mount Grasshopper would work. In your opinion, is the deck on a mid-mount Grasshopper comparable in cut quality to the V2 Scag deck?

* Any additional info or recommendations on the Deere?

Thank you.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Z950 m, spend the money on tweels and the comfort glide seart system.

if that is something you consistently tackle, your asking a lot out of your equipment no matter the color. There seems to be a thought within the homeowner community that these things should do anything. They have their limitations.

as far as motors, torque cuts grass, hp doesn’t.

OP
M

mcusa

LawnSite Member
DR field and brush mower.
If it looks like that after 2-3 weeks,why are you only cutting it every 2-3 weeks?
Thanks for your reply. This is commercial property about 40 minutes from my house, and I usually don't let the grass get this tall. But occasionally my schedule will be really busy & I can't seem to get to the property before the grass gets really thick.

OP
M

mcusa

LawnSite Member
Z950 m, spend the money on tweels and the comfort glide seart system.

if that is something you consistently tackle, your asking a lot out of your equipment no matter the color. There seems to be a thought within the homeowner community that these things should do anything. They have their limitations.

as far as motors, torque cuts grass, hp doesn’t.
Thanks for your reply. I usually don't let the grass get this thick. Concerning your comment on torque, can you give me some more info? Do some engine brands have more torque than others? If so, which brand(s) should I consider? Should I also consider a diesel, as I've read they're very torquey?

Top Forums