• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Is there a noticeable difference in power between a TT and a TTHP?

MowingMowingMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
Just wondering if the power difference between the Turf Tracer (17 hp Kawasaki) and the Turf Tracer HP (19 hp, electric start as well:)) is noticeable? Does that extra 2 hp matter that much?

Anybody out there that has run them got some opinions?

I appreciate your comments.

scotlykins

LawnSite Member
Turf Tracers are larger machines than the HP versions. The TT's only have a 52 or 60 inch decks, while the HP go down to a 36in deck. The new TT's have either a 20hp or 24hp engine. The HP's have a 20hp, for a 52 or 48 deck, down to a 16hp.

I would assume you are talking about buying used equipment. There are many factors that come into play when buying a used piece of equipment. It would be relative to age and condition.

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
My TTHP is a 19hp/52" and the TT is a 23hp/60". The TT is a larger machine but horsepower wise, there is not that much of a difference, well a 4hp difference, but you cant really notice that when operating it. They will both pull me on a 2 wheel sulky about the same, no difference in power there, but I guess the TT will handle taller and wetter grass a little bit better, but not much. Now my Ferris 23hp/61" will handle tall and wet grass all day, I think its because it does not have those front deck baffles on it, the exmarks do and the grass clogs up quickly on this baffle, plus the ferris has a much larger discharge chute.

GreenmanCT

LawnSite Senior Member
Turf Tracers are larger machines than the HP versions. The TT's only have a 52 or 60 inch decks, while the HP go down to a 36in deck. The new TT's have either a 20hp or 24hp engine. The HP's have a 20hp, for a 52 or 48 deck, down to a 16hp.

I would assume you are talking about buying used equipment. There are many factors that come into play when buying a used piece of equipment. It would be relative to age and condition.
did they recently just ad this HP title to it? im pretty sure my 08 is just a turf tracer (no hp markings) and its a 48 inch deck.

either turf tracer you get you will love.

ToroLandscaper

LawnSite Bronze Member
did they recently just ad this HP title to it? im pretty sure my 08 is just a turf tracer (no hp markings) and its a 48 inch deck.

either turf tracer you get you will love.
In your signature you have Turf Tracer HP?

Anyways, the Turf Tracer HP (TTHP) has been around for awhile, 36", 48", 52" decks. The Turf Tracers (TT) are 52" and 60" deck.

GreenmanCT

LawnSite Senior Member
ha I don't know what I was thinkin. I'm in the garage and I look over at my mower and there reads the hp. must be since I haven't been near it in a while
Posted via Mobile Device

brucec32

LawnSite Platinum Member
TTHP is the smaller one with 36,48,52 inch decks and 17 or 19hp.
TT is the bigger one with 52, 60 inch decks I believe. The decks are deeper also I think.

In my opinion the hp and TORQUE difference might noticeable if you mulch or if you are in some heavy stuff on a 48" deck (where the engines choices overlap).

Look up the torque figures. According to their website, my 15hp twin kawi is a wimp in terms of torque vs the 17hp, while I 'think' the jump in torque from 17 to 19hp isn't that big. And I can say that the 15hp is underpowered on even a 40" deck so real-world experience matches the specs. More like a single cylinder of the old days. Bogs on some pretty moderate stuff. But the 17hp looks to be a big jump up (23.6-36+ lb ft) in torque from the 15hp. 21/23hp may be in the low 40's I think. (10% jump)

I would say a big negative on the TThp is the relatively weak engines for mulching (which is a big reason to get an exmark as they mulch so well). But for discharge/bagging they are probably fine, as they are a popular machine.