Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a edger. I would like to go electric and then maybe swap out my Echo srm-225 for a line trimmer that uses the same battery as the edger. Maybe even replace my 21" Honda self propelled push mower if it's possible. I do see Milwaukee and I'm slightly a fanboy but I have no idea about their lawn stuff. I see their attachment trimmer/edger combo M18 system. I've got a couple M12 tools. Supposedly very good customer service.

My co-worker has a GreenWorks line trimmer and says it's pretty good. However I'm not really sure what voltage his is and there is apparently 0 parts support for the brand. They have several line trimmers in the same voltage for whatever reason. I also don't understand where they have 4 different voltage lines. They have a 25" self propelled push that "sounds nice". Then there is Ego... Similar? Toro's 60v line seems kinda new, but have no idea there as well.

Thanks,
Higgins909

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get the Ego. I love the lawn mower. I have about 5k sq ft lawn and i can mow the entire thing on a 7.5Ah battery that is about 5 years old. They have good support too. Also good integrated tool line. There's a reason why they never run promos like Greenworks does.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
We edge w/ string trimmers around here in fescue country. Until a battery trimmer w/ the equivalent power of a 30cc 2-stroke comes out, I'm won't even be contemplating trying one. YMMV where southern grasses dictate the use of a stick edger.

Reactions: gardiner

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Stihl kma135 with 300s battery, keeps up with my 131 Kombi head
Thank you! That's a positive step in the right direction.
Weight of a 'dedicated' trimmer w/ battery is the next hurdle. Then there's the cost - including a backup battery or two...and please, no battery belt!

Reactions: Jashley73

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I need a edger. I would like to go electric and then maybe swap out my Echo srm-225 for a line trimmer that uses the same battery as the edger. Maybe even replace my 21" Honda self propelled push mower if it's possible. I do see Milwaukee and I'm slightly a fanboy but I have no idea about their lawn stuff. I see their attachment trimmer/edger combo M18 system. I've got a couple M12 tools. Supposedly very good customer service.

My co-worker has a GreenWorks line trimmer and says it's pretty good. However I'm not really sure what voltage his is and there is apparently 0 parts support for the brand. They have several line trimmers in the same voltage for whatever reason. I also don't understand where they have 4 different voltage lines. They have a 25" self propelled push that "sounds nice". Then there is Ego... Similar? Toro's 60v line seems kinda new, but have no idea there as well.

Thanks,
Higgins909
I own a landscape company and run the Ryobi HP 40v platform. They are a better option for me than my previous gas tools for sure. There are a collect of videos here on some of the 40v tools: https://www.youtube.com/c/JeffSeetonLawnCare/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have dewalt 20 volt hand held blower, string trimmer and hedge trimmer, and while they are not my primary tools, I like them for back ups and touch ups. I use the blower the most. it's handy not having to start a blower up for a small job. I think we are certainly at a point where battery power hand held equipment is a reasonable alternative to gas.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the Milwaukee attachment trimmer. It works well.

The edger seems so-so, but then again, most of the time, using a string-trimmer for edging works well enough. I also don 't have much to compare it to, so take any criticism of mine with a grain of salt. The edger does consume battery pretty quickly. I use the edger on "high" speed to get the best cut that I can.

The trimmer is more than sufficient for maintenance trimming. Keep the guard on, but you can "scoot" the guard out, by removing (2) of the (4) bolts, and only moving the guard out, to only use the two bolts. Gives you another inch or two of string. I wouldn't go for this trimmer for big trimming tasks, but for weekly maintenance, it works just fine. I use it on "Low" speed for trimming to get a little extra battery life.

The polesaw works well. Haven't used it much, but it works well.

The hedge trimmer - By far, the best attachment for this tool. Sips battery life, even on "high" speed. You could easily work a full day trimming shrubs on two batteries. Far quieter than a gas tool. I love mine. The hedge trimmer works even better when you remove the attachment coupler from the powerhead, remove the trimmer gearbox from the attachment shaft, and then mate the hedgetrimmer gearbox directly onto the powerhead.

See the middle unit, in the video below (not me) for a better explanation.

Right now I'm torn on weather to go all-in on the Milwaukee system or not. Meaning, buy another powerhead, more batteries, and their 6-port sequential charger, and make this my "main" unit for trimming. I think it would be more than adequate, especially if you already have a bigger gas unit to serve as your "heavy duty" use trimmer.

MODIFIED Milwaukee hedge trimmer! - YouTube

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the Milwaukee attachment trimmer. It works well.

The edger seems so-so, but then again, most of the time, using a string-trimmer for edging works well enough. I also don 't have much to compare it to, so take any criticism of mine with a grain of salt. The edger does consume battery pretty quickly. I use the edger on "high" speed to get the best cut that I can.

The trimmer is more than sufficient for maintenance trimming. Keep the guard on, but you can "scoot" the guard out, by removing (2) of the (4) bolts, and only moving the guard out, to only use the two bolts. Gives you another inch or two of string. I wouldn't go for this trimmer for big trimming tasks, but for weekly maintenance, it works just fine. I use it on "Low" speed for trimming to get a little extra battery life.

The polesaw works well. Haven't used it much, but it works well.

The hedge trimmer - By far, the best attachment for this tool. Sips battery life, even on "high" speed. You could easily work a full day trimming shrubs on two batteries. Far quieter than a gas tool. I love mine. The hedge trimmer works even better when you remove the attachment coupler from the powerhead, remove the trimmer gearbox from the attachment shaft, and then mate the hedgetrimmer gearbox directly onto the powerhead.

See the middle unit, in the video below (not me) for a better explanation.

Right now I'm torn on weather to go all-in on the Milwaukee system or not. Meaning, buy another powerhead, more batteries, and their 6-port sequential charger, and make this my "main" unit for trimming. I think it would be more than adequate, especially if you already have a bigger gas unit to serve as your "heavy duty" use trimmer.

MODIFIED Milwaukee hedge trimmer! - YouTube
i was going to go the milwaukee route as I have a bunch of batteries but I went with stihl because I have a crap load of kombi attachments. I agree though, the best battery units are hedge trimmers - can't stand a 2 stroke ring-dinging in my ears all day long. as far as the stihl, the powerbroom/paddle are awesome on battery - long runtime and little noise. I don't use my kombi 131 if I don't have to

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made the mistake of getting the stihl backpack battery to be my all in one. Definitely a no go unless you have a crew and its spare equipment or if youre doing a big big job. Doesnt make sense to me to have all that extra weight for the trimmmer, edger, and blower. Instead, I will be buying seperate batteries and either a holster for the bga200 blower or just the stand alone bga86.

Got the kma135 and its great though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I made the mistake of getting the stihl backpack battery to be my all in one. Definitely a no go unless you have a crew and its spare equipment or if youre doing a big big job. Doesnt make sense to me to have all that extra weight for the trimmmer, edger, and blower. Instead, I will be buying seperate batteries and either a holster for the bga200 blower or just the stand alone bga86.

Got the kma135 and its great though.
sure is but stihl is pretty proud of their stuff - an ap300s battery is 320 + tax in Canada

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I’m going to be doing a string trimmer comparison between my Ryobi 40v and Ego 56v powerheads. I found an unkempt lot near me and will cut both swathes to 18” and let em rip. They’re both strong (imho) and it should be interesting seeing them tackling thick junk. I’m going to try to make it happen tomorrow if possible.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
If their AP batteries were more affordable, I'd go all-in on the Stihl lineup. Being able to use their KM system with either a Gas or Battery powerhead would be really nice.
That's what I'm running now. Kma130 with ap300s on hip for hedge trimmer, polesaw etc. And then km131 for bed redefiner which sucks down the battery real fast.

Waiting for the ap500s batts to become available in the US. Bumps capacity up to 9 something Ah and good for 2000 full charge cycles (versus 1000 cycles for the ap300s etc).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts