Is there ANY grass that grows under maple trees?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by walt_l, Jun 28, 2019.

1. walt_l

walt_l LawnSite Member

I am working on renovating a lawn that has been neglected for years. The big hurdle is several maple trees in the yard. What can be done about the surface roots and what cultivars of TTTF will grow WELL under a maple?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Maple trees result in heavy shade. If you have less than two hours of sun per day--if less than 20 percent of blue sky is visible--a locally adapted ground cover or bark is advisable. Myrtle, pachysandra, ivy, ajuga, deadnettle, ferns, hosta, euonymous, rhododendrons, goutweed....

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

Mondo

hal and hort101 like this.
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Shade Gardens are so much more interesting than turf. Thumbs Up

5. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Get out of the turf under tree mentality, it's all about shade gardens.

6. OP
    OP
    walt_l

walt_l LawnSite Member

I
    am a lover of hostas but maples suck up so much moisture and the roots go everywhere and eventually choke out hostas so alternatives are going to have to be my choice.

7. phasthound

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice, Barry.
    This week I am impressed with turf-type tall fescue--in a grass experiment I planted, to test the results of winter seeding with four species of grass. The area began in heavy shade due to the need for bare soil.
    Now after 7 months, turf type tall fescue looks the best. Hot and dry in recent weeks. Fine fescue is poor. Perennial rye is poor.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  9. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I've got some properties with healthy turf growing under maples. We fertilize them in spring and fall with deep root soil injections in a grid pattern under the canopy to encourage the trees to develop their roots below the root zone of the turf.

KerbDMK likes this.
  10. phasthound

Do you get deep green spots in the turf ?