1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Is there some type of Neutralizer solution for yellowing or fert burn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GrandMaster, Aug 14, 2011.

  1. GrandMaster

    GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah
    Messages: 217

    :usflag:I was looking to find some type a of action to help a very severely fertilizer burned lawn. Besides a ton of water is there some thing to help with this problem I heard charcoal but how would I put that down??:confused:
  2. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,723

    Damage is already done. Burn happens in a few hours. Especially when the solution dries on the leaves and draws the water out of the plant. Charcoal will not help. After a few days and a good soaking, it will gradually recover. Excess water will not help--just keep it uniformly moist. Encourage rapid growth to provide new green leaf blades.

    When the grass gets taller--mowing will cut off the brown part.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. BShaffer

    BShaffer LawnSite Member
    Messages: 119

    Riggle is right, fert burn is done deal. Charcoal would work if it were chemical. for future reference you spray charcoal like any herb, thru a gun or wand. Its always good to have some charcoal on hand, just in case, we all make mistakes.
  4. GrandMaster

    GrandMaster LawnSite Member
    from Utah
    Messages: 217

    How soon would I have to apply the charcoal to the lawn? Is been 2 weeks now since the app.
  5. Ben Greener

    Ben Greener LawnSite Member
    Messages: 12

    Depending on how much fert actually went down, you may want to excavate off the surface soil in order to reseed or to sod. Also, consider using turf paint to 'turn down the contrast' until you determine a more permanent fix (I'm talking the grass-green turf paint, not tracker dye or markup paint.)

Share This Page