Is this a decent deal on a Grasshopper 430D?

davidl340

LawnSite Member
A guy I know has a 430D 72" side discharge for sale with 2280 hours on it and he claims it is about 6 years old. He wants $4k. He says it is works well, cuts smooth. It is at a professional lawn care service where they maintain and use it for their larger customers. Pictures look a bit rough. What do you guys think? Price good? is 2280 hours too much to use as a dependable machine for a 6 acre lot? I know the engine will last forever, worry about the hydros and such. Thanks in advance.

image006.jpg

image008.jpg

OP
D

davidl340

LawnSite Member
I'm pretty good mechanically. Rebuild engines, race cars and such. But do want something that is pretty dependable.

OP
D

davidl340

LawnSite Member
But to answer your question.. no, I'm not a mechanic on the side. Just want something that is fast, gets the job done, will last. Diesel is kind of nice, but don't want to be constantly working on it. Was looking at a BadBoy Rebel 72" for 9K, but this caught my eye.

Mowingman

LawnSite Fanatic
I owned a lot of GRasshoppers for my business, and later became a Grasshopper dealer. It looks well used, but the hours do not scare me. The real question is what kind of maintenance has this had. How often did he change engine oil and filter? How often did he change the hydro oil and filter? Do you have any service records to look at? The whole machine, even the hydros, could last 6000 hrs, if well cared for. It does have the big 30HP engine, as the originals of this machine that I owned came with a 28HP Kubota, and that is an advantage. I might go $4000.00, if you can see records. If there are no records, I still would go $3500 or 3600 for it. Grasshopper sells a very good touchup paint in spray cans, and a belt or two can probably be expected to go. It might need blades too. I would say he is asking what a little more than he can get if he trades it in. Back when the 428 first came out, they were around $13000. Now, I think they list for around $17000.
FYI: For what you need to mow, a 61" Grasshopper would work well also. Would not take much longer each mowing. Just something to think about if you decide not to buy this mower.
Good luck, and check for maint. records.

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
That’s about the same hours that’s on my 428. I probably wouldn’t sell mine for $4k because I couldn’t buy anything better for that price but I wouldn’t pay $4k for another one either.

OP
D

davidl340

LawnSite Member
I turned it down. Would rather spend a bit more and get one in better shape unless he came down and made it a bargain. The old yazooKeys 48" will have to do for now.