Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone,

I had a new system installed about a week ago. The contractor was sub'd by the primary landscape contractor. I have zero experience with irrigation systems, but everything about the installation seems suspect to me.

1) The manifolds are flooded all the time. It's leaking to the surrounding area, and the sod won't hold and the ground is soft. You can see this in one of the pictures.

2) There are wires literally sticking above the ground near the manifolds. You can see this in the picture as well.

3) The controller was mounted so poorly that it fell off. There wasn't an anchor for one of the screws and the other was screwed just into bare drywall. Trying to operate the unit made it fall off.

4) The wires are just staples all over the wall. Mud prints were left on the wall and the unit. The hole drilled to the outside was larger than necessary, with a 1" flap of drywall just hanging around.

5) Most of the heads are aligned poorly. During testing, the heads were either shooting over the fence or directly into a tree.

6) A lot of extra tubing was left just lying all over my yard.

So, it looks to me, in my state of ignorance mind you, like complete amateur hour here. I've attached pictures that show all of this. Can any of you be so kind to tell me what kind of a job this looks like? I'm trying to avoid a situation where down the road I have a lot of expense incurred due to a lack of professionalism on the install.

Thanks!

Plant community Plant Grass Woody plant Wood

Plant Automotive tire Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant

Leaf Grass Road surface Circle Pattern

Plant community Plant Branch Twig Organism

Wood Grey Triangle Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
428 Posts
more in depth pic. would help; but looks like an amateur got a hold of your lawn; have you called and discussed this with your landscape contractor?? Keep in mind that if you paid him (landscape contractor) HE is the ultimate one responsible (to you). Good luck-more pics. would help!

·
Registered
428 Posts
if I were you-I would call the landscaper first--then, if no action, I would prob. get a neutral third party to look at the entire system (pay him for his time) and have him run through the entire system and make detailed notes describing its problems and an estimate to repair it--send this to landscaper via CERTIFIED mail with a date to complete repairs, and if he doesn't act-then you'd have no choice but to sue them. I assume you got some type of warranty (in writing) from them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't thank you all enough.

I did discuss this with the landscape contractor, and his response was to get the irrigation contractor back out to address the issues. I felt that might be a reasonable response at first, but looking further into it I have zero confidence in this irrigation contractor.

The landscape contractor did comment that "this looks like @#!#" when he looked at it, so he acknowledged the problem. I believe I'll take the recommendation offered from Eric and get a neutral party out to take a look.

I'll take some more pictures in a bit!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
how often is it being run right now. You might have leaks but if you have newly planted sod your contractor might have just been watering the snot out of it (standard procedure) so that might explain the valve boxes being flooded. but from the looks of that box install it could be that he didn't know what he was doing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Chad if this was my system and i had that happen to me, i would tell my landscape contractor to never let that guy back on my property again. and get a new contractor back to fix the shoty work.

·
Registered
428 Posts
to be MORE than fair, chad should at least give him a chance--that way if something comes up-he can say he gave him a second chance to fix his screw ups. After that-I would be finished with him-and it really doesn't say a whole lot a/b your landscaper for using such a person to put his irrigation in. I'd give him one more shot and then see where that gets you. Keep us informed!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you don't mind answering, Chad, how much did you pay for the system? Please include how many of which type heads, how many valves, etc.
Don't mind at all.

Cost was $2k, and that includes 13 heads. I don't have an inventory of everything used unfortunately, and it's too dark out to check (need some lighting! :)); however, I know there are 7 Hunter PGP heads and the rest are Hunter Pro Spray. I'm not positive, but I believe there are 3 valves.

·
Registered
428 Posts
whoa! that's pretty cheap. I don't know how much pipe was ran and all that stuff, so I can't really say-but in ATL 2K is really cheap--he made $$$, but most reputable places in ATL aren't gonna look at ya for 2K! The bad thing is you could spend that getting it fixed right. at least it's not a huge job to fix if the whole thing is screwed up, but really need to see more to diagnose your problems more in depth!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
whoa! that's pretty cheap. I don't know how much pipe was ran and all that stuff, so I can't really say-but in ATL 2K is really cheap--he made $$$, but most reputable places in ATL aren't gonna look at ya for 2K! The bad thing is you could spend that getting it fixed right. at least it's not a huge job to fix if the whole thing is screwed up, but really need to see more to diagnose your problems more in depth!
Well, I guess I got what I paid for. The only problem with that is that I put the trust in the landscaper to give me a quality product, and there was never any discussion of cutting costs, corners, etc.

Appreciate the honesty Eric. I'll give that some consideration. If you know of anyone reputable in the Atlanta area that could potentially come take a look at the damage and give me an estimate to address it, I'd appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.