Is this a very good deal?

mikehurt88

LawnSite Member
So I'm thinking about starting a lawn mowing service. I have no experience mowing lawns other then just doing my basic families. I just want to do something where I'm outdoors and for right now on a part time basis as I have a decent job where I work 4 days on 4 days off and have full insurance.

I've been reading alot about starting out but theres just so much its hard to take everything in. So to start out I just want to ask about this deal that someome is selling locally and see what you guys thought brand wise and price wise.

This younger kid wanted to start a lawn mowing business last year and talked his uncle into buying him all the equipment and would pay back after he made the moneky. Will the kid never mowed but 2 or 3 lawns and decided it wasn't for him. His uncle purchased a new Troy Built ZTR 50" cut with 25hp that now has 13 hours, a 12" Tandem axle trailer, and some aluminum ramps for loading....They are asking $3000 for everything or $2400 for mower only.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about the brand of mower its self and if the price was worth it since its fairly new.....I've considered offering $2500 for everything. Also as I said I'm just thinking about starting up and I have the cash to purchase this equipment but is it really to much for me to just be starting out with no clients yet?

Any help or info would be great and Thanks for everything you guys post on here it has really helped

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
Troybilt went belly up and are made by MTD so their not as good as they used to be. For that price sounds as if it was a box store model not commercial grade. But we all have to start some where.

Thing is find out what this mower sells for new and the same for the trailer.

Then go back and offer them 1/2 of what the new price was.

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
I would suggest to start out small and grow only if you can afford to do so. Establish a budget to start out with, save your money untill you are there. Make sure you shop around for the best price for your budget and build your business from there. I am sure there will be dealers that may want to offer you special deals and offers of Financing for package deals of equipment. If your budget can afford it and you have enough work to support it think about this option, it may work for your situation.
easy-lift guy

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
sit your self down, and ask your self, " Where do I want to go "

then write it down, then write down your income NOW. and your investment NOW.
wirte down, what type of advertisement you want to do, or think you want to do.
THEN go look at GOOD equipment. and price it.....

this is called a business plan.

I would strongly stay a way form residential riders, you MIGHT get one year outta this machine. I doubt it, BUT you may.

BEst of luck

Seems Landscaping

LawnSite Member
I also work 4 on 4 off and even with lots of time off this business is not easy. Lawns grow 7 days a week and they can't wait for your days off in order to be cut. Lawns need to be done at least once a week. If you only mow on your rest days the lawns will grow too long between cuts and you'll lose customers.

CS-LAWNSERVICE

LawnSite Member
I also work 4 on 4 off and even with lots of time off this business is not easy. Lawns grow 7 days a week and they can't wait for your days off in order to be cut. Lawns need to be done at least once a week. If you only mow on your rest days the lawns will grow too long between cuts and you'll lose customers.
If your only working days 1-4 that gives 5-7 each week to cut so no lawn would be more then 7 days old ,so not sure I know what you mean about they would be to long between cuts

cutting 3 or 4 days a week can hand 20-30 yards in that time

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
If your only working days 1-4 that gives 5-7 each week to cut so no lawn would be more then 7 days old ,so not sure I know what you mean about they would be to long between cuts

cutting 3 or 4 days a week can hand 20-30 yards in that time
You can't compare apples to oranges.

You quoted a person that works 4 on 4 off.

Mows four days: M, T 1 day past first cut, W 2 T 3,

Works four days: F 4, S 5, S 6, M 7 days/one week past first cut

He starts his next 4 days of mowing on T 8 days past first cut, lawn is mowed one day late/past due to be cut.

CS-LAWNSERVICE

LawnSite Member
You can't compare apples to oranges.

You quoted a person that works 4 on 4 off.

Mows four days: M, T 1 day past first cut, W 2 T 3,

Works four days: F 4, S 5, S 6, M 7 days/one week past first cut

He starts his next 4 days of mowing on T 8 days past first cut, lawn is mowed one day late/past due to be cut.
Good point my bad
but many who work 4 on and 4 off make it work
This is my full time job so its 7 and and 0 of some weeks