Is this Ash Tree Dying??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by derektoews, Aug 12, 2017.

1. derektoews

derektoews LawnSite Member

Does anyone know what's going on with this Ash Tree? It's about 10 years old (I think) over the course of like a month it's dropped half of it's leaves already (it's August) on the bottom half of the tree. The top half of the tree still looks fine but I'm guessing it's got some kind of disease going on with it. I don't see any holes on the bark from the Emerald Ash Borers... so I'm a bit confused. The home owners want to keep the tree but not sure what to spray it with, or should I just tell them to cut it down and plant another tree. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I posted some pictures of the leaves. We are in Nashville, TN IMG_9503.JPG IMG_6630.JPG

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

3. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Gold Member

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  4. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

you have EAB , thats what my trees did before they started dying from the bottom up over 3 years , treatments are a waste of money if the bottom half has yellowed , look near the base and yokes and with a bright flashlight to see any holes , or knock on the bark if its hollow sounding they are chewing it away . they eat he layer right under the bark ( ligum??) that transfers the water to the top , we just cut down (7 ) 25 year old ones , all the bark shead this last winter and you could see the trails under them they chewed . and the stumps have new growth sprouting from around it . the trucnks have been removed and we have to stump them out now . ( pitty was the main trunks and branches were solid as could be , sold the trunks off to a amish furniture maker who knows how to heat treat the wood otherwise it had to be burnt .

hort101 likes this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like Ash Rust. It won't survive on the tree over Winter, severity of subsequent infections will depend largely on weather and climate. If you anticipate another wet and humid Spring then treating it with a fungicide early enough will help prevent it. This fungus generally won't kill the tree but under the right conditions you'll see a bad infection like yours.

It overwinters on Cordgrass. Prairie Cordgrass is native to your area and other cultivars are planted as an ornamental. Removing any in the area will also help prevent re-infection.

EAB will usually cause dieback from the top down. I don't see any in your pics, are their suckers on the lower part of the trunk where you wouldn't expect them to sprout? That's a common symptom of EAB infestation.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

^^^This^^^

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

Dieback from EAB starts at the top and works it's way down.

Epicormic shoots are another sign. Plus the D-shaped exit holes.

MSU has brought EAB infected trees back that had only 40% of the canopy remaining.

Get another pic from further away.

Reedo and hort101 like this.
  7. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, emerald ash. The folks at Purdue University say you can spend a ton of money to get a little more time but the end result for all of them are the same they get cut down

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Highly unlikely that's EAB.

And MSU has been working with it far longer than anybody else, they can and have been treated for a long time. Removal is not the only long term option.

Reedo and hort101 like this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

That's what I thought it's in the first link,or some other fungal issue
    Thumbs UpThumbs Up

10. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes upon second look couldn't see the signs of eab on the bark from the pictures. bringing ash trees back with long term sustainability by the way of root injections or the like... well... in my opinion and the opion of those with PHD behind the last name that verdict is still out. More so do to training and compentanc of those providing such service. If a customer has Eab in this area we would just recommend cutting down. If unlimited funds and the proper trained staff is available to save your ash tree and that's what one chooses to do then great as well.