1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is this enough tractor for what I need?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by mcgruff, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

Hi All,
    I have been an avid reader of lawnsite for sometime and have learned alot. This is my first post. I currently acquired 125 acres to be used as a hunting/summer home. There is about 8 acres of field, the rest is wooded and a little hilly in places. I would be using the tractor mainly to cut grass, plow snow, maybe removing some stumps and digging trenches for a home foundation and water line etc. Also the bucket to haul firewood and for dragging cut logs out of the timber. I am currently looking at a JD 3520 since there is a JD dealer about 15 min away. Would this be enough tractor for what I need or is it overkill or should I go bigger? Any help would be grealty appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

for 8 acres that doesnt sound bad. if ur gonna get a six foot brush hog that ought to do the job.

3. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

That sounds about right I would not go any smaller if you want to pull logs and do digging with it. I might go a little bigger if you plan on using it for excavation for right now. But for sure no smaller than that.

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like the other guys have said that sounds like a good size. Bigger or smaller would be OK too, it's just a matter of how fast you want to get work done. The smaller machines can get it done, they just take longer, but if you have no specific need for a small machine, get the biggest one you can afford.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The bigger tractors are much more stable on hills.
    Get 4 wheel drive and I prefer Hydstatic drive.
    The 4000 series would probally be a better long term purchase.
    The 4120/4320 looks like a really balance of size and power plus you get into a 4 cyl engine.
    I prefer the bigger tractor .

6. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

ok guys, thanks for the replies, when the time comes, I will let you all know what i decided to go with....thanks again

7. CTS

CTS LawnSite Member
    from Bath NC

JD3520 would be a good choice. If you go with this size, get 4wd, I purchased the same tractor over a year ago and I am completely happy with it. You are able to run 5' or 6' implements with no problem. I would not go any smaller as earlier post replied.

8. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

hey guys,
    I still have not got a tractor for my new farm yet.
    A few things popped up i had to take care of first.
    anyways, thanks for the replies so far.
    While I do not believe there is such thing as overkill when it comes to what size to buy, I do be believe in overkill when it comes to purchase price. I decided to go with kubota. now my question, based on what i plan to do with it, would a L5740 with 59 hp and 50 pto be to much tractor for what I need?
    thanks for all the replies so far.

9. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have the Kubota L 48 TLB and when ever I get to replace it, and if the present situation stays the same,, my replacement will be a 5740, only with a cab,.. The L48 is a commercial backhoe (3 hydro pumps), I haven't really been using it as designed for two years now... Just plowing snow and hog mowing our fields.. With that size property, I certainly wouldn't go any smaller than the 5740

10. mcgruff

mcgruff LawnSite Member

a cab.... I have been debating on getting one , i think that i will regret not having one when I use it in the winter. I think I will get a cab also. :)