1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Is this enough?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassyfras, Dec 6, 2003.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going to go community college next year and get a a degree in Hort. and take some small business courses. I'm hoping to maybe get a part time job with landscaper and do my mowing on the side. Do you think that will be enough experience after 2 years to go out on my own and start a small landscaping company? What else do I need? Thanks guys

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

hey im doing the same, already started school last year (community college) i just started my biz this year i started taking hort classes and i already have a few biz classes completed. next quarter im taking design classes the only thing im worried about is when i transfer out next year. school will now be hour from my home and my costumers, looks like ill be doing alot of traveling
    good luck to you and your biz:cool2: :cool2:

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks and good luck to you too

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

After getting my degree in Horticulture i thought about working for another landscaper for a few years to get more experience before i started on my own, except the fact that i already had more knowledge than most of the landscapers in the area. So i said screw working for someone else and went right into my own business and never looked back again after 3 years.

5. AccuScapes

AccuScapes LawnSite Member
    from NC

Ditto! I have found the same to be true. It's basically "time". In one year alone, you'll learn a lot about everything from pricing, selling yourself, etc. Good luck to ya!