Is This Good Fert?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by coyoteman, May 7, 2003.

  1. coyoteman

    coyoteman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 89

    I'm in the process of finding a good fertilizer to use on our lawns and was wondering what some of you might have to say. The turf is kentucky blue grass here. Is 24-4-10 50% scu any good. It has 10% filler. Thanks for any replies.
  2. EJK2352

    EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,150

    24%N + 4%P + 10%K + 10% filler = 48% What is the other 52% ?? I'd say it's more like 62% filler, usually kilned clay like they use for kitty litter or floor dry. I have also seen pelletized lime used as a filler. I am using a 25-3-10 w/2% Iron and 33% SCU for my second round. I'd say 24-4-10 would be a good choice.
  3. Green Pastures

    Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,457

    Have you done a soil test to find out what the soil needs?

    You can put down the best fert on the planet, but if it does not contain what the soil is deficient in, where is the benefit?

    You could be putting down to much of one thing and not enough of the other.
  4. coyoteman

    coyoteman LawnSite Member
    Messages: 89

    Here is what is in the fert. potash 16.4, DAP 8.7, urea 23.8, scu 40.3, filler 10.8. Sorry for not being more specific. Thanks
  5. fblandscape

    fblandscape Banned
    Messages: 776

    Filler is just some form of carbon.

Share This Page