Is this lawn hopeless?

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
This is a friend, not a client. He’s getting ready to put his house on the market. This area of the lawn has never grown well. There are a number of trees. It is irrigated.

He wants this area reseeded or resodded. He has sections of zoysia.
I don’t know if it’s possible. Do you?
C14C75F7-46F9-46C6-BCAB-88003F7FFC97.jpeg
64B807F5-42E8-4FB2-81E6-AD31672216BB.jpeg
794997E5-57BE-44C7-923E-613E8042B89B.jpeg
D675366B-1DAB-4B42-A1D7-267FE3AE1837.jpeg
C7E75E02-5BEF-456A-9914-B7BC6B1E27AE.jpeg
494A5138-9182-48D4-888C-C92BAADD370D.jpeg

Oneacer

LawnSite Member
Looks like a wooded area that gets no sun, and soil looks to be lacking seriously in appropriate nutrients/balance.

To do it right, especially with zoysia, I would have the soil tested, correct its balance, then kill whatever is there, till up the soil to loosen it up, rake it, seed properly with what is pertinent to your area.

Personnally, if your selling it, I would not spend the time or money, leave it as mentioned, and let the new homeowner invest the time and money to landscape it to their liking, as they may want to put in some mulched beds, as it appears that is a very shaded area with all the moss, dirt and such.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Maybe just use turf paint.
Could slice seed in rye grass and water the crud out of it, will probably last long enough to sell the place.
Like Y&F said probably not worth the trouble considering the housing market.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
This is a friend, not a client. He’s getting ready to put his house on the market. This area of the lawn has never grown well. There are a number of trees. It is irrigated.

He wants this area reseeded or resodded. He has sections of zoysia.
I don’t know if it’s possible. Do you?View attachment 440383View attachment 440384View attachment 440385View attachment 440386View attachment 440387View attachment 440388
Yeah, heavy shade and warm season grasses don’t go well together. Creeping Red Fescue or Chewings Fescue would be your best bet. Bring in some topsoil, then overseed and fertilize or sod it if you like.

Taking a soil sample is always a good idea but if he isn’t going to be there very long, then I wouldn’t worry about it, let the buyers worry about sustaining/maintaining it.

I’m not sure they’d recover their investment on fixing that area but it’d likely help with the appeal of something being freshly renovated - may help sell it quicker. Around here houses aren’t staying on the market very long so it may not really matter.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Just too much shade for Zoysia or much else that's a warm season grass. When I see moss, then I see that grass really won't grow there.

I'd not bother with it. Maybe a cool season grass, mulched beds, or remove the trees. Let the new owner figure out what they want.