Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to provide basic lawn care services excluding chemicals and other tasks that require a license if you just pay income taxes? I will be 17 in February next year and want to eliminate a few customers, raise some prices, and double my residential accounts. Can I run business as usual and just pay income taxes since I can't get a business license, insurance, vendors's license, and fertilizer/chemical licensing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm not sure if it is leagal to own and operate a business if you are under 18.

If you can't get a business license because you are under age, how are you going to pay income taxes on a business that does not exist?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Like i said before man, you need to get a trustworth adult to help, mom , dad, brother, uncle, neighbor teacher, someone,

your signature on any legal document isnt binding until you are 18.. so get some one to do this temp... till you get older..

your still legal that way.....

good luck man and lkeep at it

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
daveintoledo said:
Like i said before man, you need to get a trustworth adult to help, mom , dad, brother, uncle, neighbor teacher, someone,

your signature on any legal document isnt binding until you are 18.. so get some one to do this temp... till you get older..
They will be responsible for everything you do. if you get sued, they will be the ones who get served.
John

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shuter said:
I am not sure if no insurance is illegal, but you are crazy not to have it. Unless you have a large bank account and can self-insure yourself.
I can't get incurance at this age, right? I try to reduce the risks. I always mulch, edge with edger when possible (reducing flying debris alot, instead of trimmer with plastic blades), and I almost always wear glasses. Next year, I will try to always wear hearing protection and glasses. I'm also going to try wearing long pants. When I'm 18, there is no doubt in my mind I will be legal. I just can't do it right now. Can't I just turn in income taxes without being a business? Wouldn't that be possible and more legal than not doing so? I guess I could get a business license, but what's the point without insurance? I can't get insurance through my parents' name and be the one who it actually insures, can I? Am I right about this, or can someone lead me in the RIGHT direction? Thanks for your help so far guys. :dizzy:

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
It sounds to me like you should contact your state dept. of labor. I think they could answer ALL these questions for you, and then some. Do a google search, and get on their website. Much of this may even be on there. I hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
I think the law is that anyone under 18 is not allowed to operate power equipment, that kills having just any adult be the signature person, therefore your best move would be to have your parents be the company owners ( registered) you can operate equipment for your own parents legally, let them handle the taxes for the first year and then sign the business over to you on your birthday, insurance can be gotten under 18, its just very difficult and expensive, with parents as owners insurance should be fairly inexpensive and much more easy to obtain.
also, assuming that your parents are working, the self employment tax would be easy for them to cover from their payroll deductions, and they would have use of writing off your equipment which would benefit their tax situation in a bigger way than they could imagine.
one other way to protect their interest & yours would be to go register as a partnership you being a partner to one or both of your parents, or register as a LLC and be listed as a organizing member.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stumper1620 said:
I think the law is that anyone under 18 is not allowed to operate power equipment, that kills having just any adult be the signature person, therefore your best move would be to have your parents be the company owners ( registered) you can operate equipment for your own parents legally, let them handle the taxes for the first year and then sign the business over to you on your birthday, insurance can be gotten under 18, its just very difficult and expensive, with parents as owners insurance should be fairly inexpensive and much more easy to obtain.
also, assuming that your parents are working, the self employment tax would be easy for them to cover from their payroll deductions, and they would have use of writing off your equipment which would benefit their tax situation in a bigger way than they could imagine.
one other way to protect their interest & yours would be to go register as a partnership you being a partner to one or both of your parents, or register as a LLC and be listed as a organizing member.
How can a claim be made on the insurance if something happens with because of me, and the insurance is through my parents. Can I actually do the work and be insured, without being considered an employee? Thanks, I'm getting farther. :)

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Howie's Lawn Care said:
How can a claim be made on the insurance if something happens with because of me, and the insurance is through my parents. Can I actually do the work and be insured, without being considered an employee? Thanks, I'm getting farther. :)
the insurance is in the company name not yours, it insures the company, no exceptions, other than the usual exclusions that insurers use to avoid major claims, my policy says nothing about my kids operating equipment, I have my 14 year old running 1 mower while i run my z, when he finishes he starts whiping & blowing

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stumper1620 said:
the insurance is in the company name not yours, it insures the company, no exceptions, other than the usual exclusions that insurers use to avoid major claims, my policy says nothing about my kids operating equipment, I have my 14 year old running 1 mower while i run my z, when he finishes he starts whiping & blowing
You still have to pay workers comp, right? Wouldn't I be an employee if I operated equipment for my parents' business?

·
Banned
1,889 Posts
Howie's Lawn Care said:
You still have to pay workers comp, right? Wouldn't I be an employee if I operated equipment for my parents' business?
are you insured under your parents health policy ( should be), if your parents show ownership until you turn 18, and you do the work for them if they claim all the money the company produces and you claim none, you are just helping mom or dad get the jobs done. ( not as an employee)
at this time your only needs are to be a registered business with insurance, claiming your added taxiable income like a good citizen should, so at this stage keep it as simple as possible, employees require a employer number ect.
get a business name, insurance and have your parents claim the added income & business expense, you will remain a dependent for the year on your parents taxes and they get added tax savings. you get the needed coverages until 18 then file for employer id numbers ect. in your own name.
once again concentrate on getting by as close to legal and safe as possible until you are 18, then go for the full legal boat.
Its better than where you are right now.
legally it is not possible for you to do this all the way with out a lawyer to weed thru all the legal crap, so just get as close as possible and you are still way ahead.
Also as a member in a LLC, you are not an employee, you are a co owner
no need for comp.

·
Registered
112 Posts
daveintoledo said:

your still legal that way.....

good luck man and lkeep at it
what if your parents don't want to be part of your business because of liability reasons?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Howie.....If your folks want you to start(continue ) you business venture, visit an attorney and a good tax adviser with them. It may cost a few bucks, but you'll get straight answers. Offer to pay for it. Deduct the cost as a business expense.

Good luck.....Jim

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
I work without insurance, it is not required by law.

If I get hurt, I'm on my own - There's motrin for the pain and bandaids for light cuts and a first-aid kit in the truck... Also, duct tape for lacerations (big cuts).
The hospital is out of the question unless they take me there against my will (I don't physically resist, but I tell them NO).

Far as customer liability, make sure there is NOBODY anywhere around, no bystanders, no onlookers that is all bs. Worst thing that could happen is a broken window or some pvc-piping the weed-trimmer string likes that stuff.
Yes, a rock COULD fly out and hit someone in the head and kill them... This could also happen to you should you get struck by lightning.

Some ppls believe in insurance, some don't. Is it to save money? Sorta, but the real reason is I don't believe in paying paper-pushers to shuffle pens around the desk as my premium does not cover any claims, anyhow.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
but dont listen to anybdy who tells you its ok not to be insurd, just showes how stupid they are....

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
You can get a biz license in OH at your age just not LLC go with a sole- proprietor at 1st then when your 18 change to an LLC. Also you can get biz insurance at your age. The State of Ohio says that you can have a commercial pesticide applicators lic. at 16 and you can get a pesticide biz lic at 16 also and insured. And I know this because all of which I had at your age but I just turned 18. I hope this helps and good luck with your biz adventure. :waving:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.