1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Is This Legal?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. Howie's Lawn Care

    Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 512

    Is it legal to provide basic lawn care services excluding chemicals and other tasks that require a license if you just pay income taxes? I will be 17 in February next year and want to eliminate a few customers, raise some prices, and double my residential accounts. Can I run business as usual and just pay income taxes since I can't get a business license, insurance, vendors's license, and fertilizer/chemical licensing? Thanks.
  2. Mo Green

    Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,487

    I'm not sure if it is leagal to own and operate a business if you are under 18.

    If you can't get a business license because you are under age, how are you going to pay income taxes on a business that does not exist?
  3. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    Like i said before man, you need to get a trustworth adult to help, mom , dad, brother, uncle, neighbor teacher, someone,

    your signature on any legal document isnt binding until you are 18.. so get some one to do this temp... till you get older..

    your still legal that way.....

    good luck man and lkeep at it
  4. John Gamba

    John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct
    Messages: 10,812

    They will be responsible for everything you do. if you get sued, they will be the ones who get served.
  5. Shuter

    Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,171

    I am not sure if no insurance is illegal, but you are crazy not to have it. Unless you have a large bank account and can self-insure yourself.
  6. Thirdpete

    Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago
    Messages: 236

    just lye to the IRS about your source of income. tell em it's from selling baseball cards or something.
  7. Howie's Lawn Care

    Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 512

    I can't get incurance at this age, right? I try to reduce the risks. I always mulch, edge with edger when possible (reducing flying debris alot, instead of trimmer with plastic blades), and I almost always wear glasses. Next year, I will try to always wear hearing protection and glasses. I'm also going to try wearing long pants. When I'm 18, there is no doubt in my mind I will be legal. I just can't do it right now. Can't I just turn in income taxes without being a business? Wouldn't that be possible and more legal than not doing so? I guess I could get a business license, but what's the point without insurance? I can't get insurance through my parents' name and be the one who it actually insures, can I? Am I right about this, or can someone lead me in the RIGHT direction? Thanks for your help so far guys. :dizzy:
  8. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    It sounds to me like you should contact your state dept. of labor. I think they could answer ALL these questions for you, and then some. Do a google search, and get on their website. Much of this may even be on there. I hope this helps.
  9. stumper1620

    stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,889

    I think the law is that anyone under 18 is not allowed to operate power equipment, that kills having just any adult be the signature person, therefore your best move would be to have your parents be the company owners ( registered) you can operate equipment for your own parents legally, let them handle the taxes for the first year and then sign the business over to you on your birthday, insurance can be gotten under 18, its just very difficult and expensive, with parents as owners insurance should be fairly inexpensive and much more easy to obtain.
    also, assuming that your parents are working, the self employment tax would be easy for them to cover from their payroll deductions, and they would have use of writing off your equipment which would benefit their tax situation in a bigger way than they could imagine.
    one other way to protect their interest & yours would be to go register as a partnership you being a partner to one or both of your parents, or register as a LLC and be listed as a organizing member.
  10. Howie's Lawn Care

    Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 512

    How can a claim be made on the insurance if something happens with because of me, and the insurance is through my parents. Can I actually do the work and be insured, without being considered an employee? Thanks, I'm getting farther. :)

Share This Page