Lawn Care Forum banner

Is this littering?

• Yes, "John Doe is littering!"

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Mow over it hoping it would not be noticeable.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • The clown has big feet. :D

Votes: 17 29.8%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"John Doe" is cutting yard "X". He sees a paper towel on the ground. His first cut beside the paper towel. On the next pass, he stops, picks up the paper towel, and moves it to the side that has been mowed.

Now we all know to pick up the trash lol, but is this considered littering by "John Doe"? Even though he originally did not put the trash down, or would you just mow over it hoping it would not be noticeable?

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
no litterbug here. not a very nice way to do things but I suppose I have kicked a few things from the next pass into the pass I just made.:blush:

GEO

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
You're a garbage man if you've agreed to maintain the lawn and there is trash on it. Whether you decide to charge for it, stack it at the curb, can it, or carry it off, it's ultimately YOUR responsibility to leave the grass looking freshly cut and CLEAN. I understand where you're coming from, believe me. I had one customer who didn't have a single lid on their cans, and EVERY week, there was trash all over the side yard. I picked it up once, then charged them $5.00 the next time. They had a hissy fit, so I said it needs to be picked up before I mow or I will charge again or go around it. They did not want to be charged more, they would not pick it up, so I just quit doing that entire side of the yard. Then I realized that neighbors were seeing me leave this job looking terrible every week, and I decided it was not worth me keeping it at all. Dropped them.

But a paper towel?? Get real. If it was MY yard, and I saw you MOVE it, to go around it, you'd be fired as you loaded the trailer. Same with an employee, fired. Be a professional, get a debris bag for your mowers, and pick up the small stuff if it can't be hidden, and charge for the larger stuff or for lots of trash.

~Nest

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
o, now i have to stop and pick up trash? no way. if its once in a while, ok, but when it becomes a problem, i just run over everything, garbage, toys, and one time, even a timex watch, boy, talk about watching time fly.....

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I've got a couple of apartment houses down by campus. These kids are pigs and don't ever pick up any trash that's on their lawn. In fact, I think they just dump their trash out there on purpose without bags for the garbage man to pick up. It's not my job to pick up after these kids, and I won't do it. One or two pieces of trash on the lawn, a stray paper, I'm all over it. But this is rediculous and I refuse to be their garbage man. I usually pull out the blower and blow it all into their driveway. Yeah, it's horrible and I'm probably the worst LCO in history because I do that, but I don't care. The guy that owns the place who lives on the other side of the state still pays just the same.

:mad:

·
Banned
787 Posts
I suppose it is not technically littering, but it is an irresponsible, selfish act and a poor business practice if someone sees you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same problem here. I maintain 50 residentials + for a management company. A couple of the properties always have trash lying around. Toys,etc. Have asked tenants to remove trash before service to no response.Tenants are pigs. So I mow over trash,toys, everything! sharpen blades more than I should have to. I not a trashman!

·
Banned
787 Posts
why don't you just charge more?

·
Banned
726 Posts
Lets see, am I running a Lawn Service or a Trash Service? Hmmm, seems like I’m more into the grass thing than the trash thing. Yep, I was right once before, and it felt just like this …

The ONLY thing I will pick up is something that would be hazardous to hit, like a spoon, hammer, dog-leash, etc. Everything else gets pushed aside or mowed around.

I preach this all the time because it’s soooooo hard for some people to grasp; we work for a PROFIT like every other sane American. I don’t do anything for a customer free of charge. Some of you have deceived yourself into thinking your customers appreciate the “little extras.” The reality is, you have conditioned them to EXPECT it. Don’t think so? Then try not doing those extra things and see what happens to their attitude.

Three of your customers leave hoses strung all over the yard, so you take 5 minutes to gather them up. Five of them have kids, and the ONLY time there’s not a mess in the back yard is after you’ve straightened it up enough to mow. Two Little-o’Ladies spill more rolled-up tissue paper wads out of their purse every week than you’ve used in your lifetime. And a couple of beer-swill’n fat-boy customers are lucky to know where the trash can is, much less get their cans in them. So by the end of the day, you’ve spent 60 minutes doing the “little extras” on those accounts, because you’re a PRO. LAUGH OUT LOUD!!! "Pro" is short for Professional. You know, as in getting paid!!! Remember?

You keep it up. Do all those "little extras." Because I (your competition) will be mowing another account while you’re acting like a pro.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by mower_babe
why don't you just charge more?
Exactly

If it is troublesome amounts.

We do commercials that are high profile. Debris is figured into the pricing. As well as we suggest to them and their maintenance department that waiting for us on a weekly basis does not project the image their corporation should portray

·
Banned
787 Posts
o m g

Glan, you and i agree on something. I just think we had a "moment."
++++++++++++++++++
It is true. I dont want to leave a job looking crappy. I dont care if the homeowners take care of it. I am not going to put my name on anything that looks sub par.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by mower_babe
o m g

Glan, you and i agree on something. I just think we had a "moment."
++++++++++++++++++
It is true. I dont want to leave a job looking crappy. I dont care if the homeowners take care of it. I am not going to put my name on anything that looks sub par.
;) ................:)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.