Is this low balling? $25 per cut for this 10,000+ sqft lawn?

JawT

LawnSite Member
Just heard a competitor is charging just $25 per cut to do this lawn. It’s about 10K sqft, not counting the narrow strips along the streets.

Is there any way this outfit is paying employees more than $7 an hour?

E39AC084-A2B3-4857-88C1-83FCFCFFE309.jpeg

I did estimates for other 8K-10K+ sqft properties this week that have steep slopes and more complicated landscaping, and where parking is harder. Two of those said they’re paying $30. And less than $33 (which was my number) in another.

Are these what we would call low-ball offers? Am I right to refuse to compete against this? And do the employees for that company know they’re getting overworked and ripped off?

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I will say i dont touch anything in my area for less than 40, but thats my area. 25 might be beer money for him, or he can under cut everyone to slowly push them out and then slowly raise his prices. Some people only see volume, not how the job is going to get done.

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
I will say i dont touch anything in my area for less than 40, but thats my area. 25 might be beer money for him, or he can under cut everyone to slowly push them out and then slowly raise his prices. Some people only see volume, not how the job is going to get done.
I think a lot of beginning businesses try to get every job they can seeing volume as success

nclawnsrus

LawnSite Member
Don't even entertain that nonsense. IMO you've already wasted too much time and energy on this by posting about it. You know your worth, none of us are out here to rip anyone off! Keep killing it man!

Btw, in western NC that's a $62/week cut, I don't see how you can feed yourself some markets!

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
Don't even entertain that nonsense. IMO you've already wasted too much time and energy on this by posting about it. You know your worth, none of us are out here to rip anyone off! Keep killing it man!

Btw, in western NC that's a $62/week cut, I don't see how you can feed yourself some markets!
I'm averaging $50/ 1/4 acre. I just landed a new one yesterday at $60 because it has a slope.

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member

THanks my friend! the encouragement helps right now. Hagglers abound. Only about 20% of estimates accepted in last 10-14days. Nice weather lately, I'm sick of driving around in the evenings and would [almost] rather be on a mower. Still, 20% is better than zero.

And thanks to everyone else for the input too! I think some company is playing a volume game like @Crazy 4 grass said. Not the game I wanna play right now. Maybe one day when hiring is easier...

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
Im tired so i just rushed my way through my last answer. People can charge what they want based on alot of things, alot has to to with volume/route density/overhead. If he has 4 houses on one street charging 30 each, 2 guys getting it done in a hour hes turning a profit, doesnt matter if hes paying $7hr for labor. At some point someone like you gets pushed out the market. When that happens he raises the rates slowly, so now each house becomes 35 or 40 so on... as far as the employees being over worked, doesnt matter. Labor is a dime a dozen at $7hr. So they can be replaced, and quite frankly if they are willing to work that low id guess the quality doesnt matter on company or customers. As far as employees being ripped off, your hired at will, boss doesnt owe anyone anything. Your okay with 280 a week no problem, on to the next house.