Is this low balling? $25 per cut for this 10,000+ sqft lawn?

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
I dominated the lowballer today. Got a call from a Nextdoor post as I do one every two weeks or so. I change it slightly as the year progresses, this week was about there being enough time for lawn care providers to become lacking in punctuality and detail from the initial spring hiring. I walked the yard and quoted $60 as he wanted biweekly like most around here and he accepted. After we closed the deal he said the last company charged $45 a month, I told him that was absolutely amazing, yet here we are walking your property lol. I just owned the quote as I’ve learned to do and would have walked. Keep in mind that I have plenty of room to take on new accounts but $22 a cut, please... :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
Huzzah!! Nicely done

How are you making any money doing that for $40 and taking over an hour?
First of all, I don't blow my money on Louis Vuitton's or any meaningless *hit like that.
Second, I don't order doordash or eat out for every meal, nor do I go on expensive dates every 2 weeks. All that crap would cost a fortune so no thanks...instead I save that money I could be blowing and spend the rest on the business and of course basic stuff as well. Even when I did it with lawnstarter for $28, I was still making money.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Gold Member
First of all, I don't blow my money on Louis Vuitton's or any meaningless *hit like that.
Second, I don't order doordash or eat out for every meal, nor do I go on expensive dates every 2 weeks. All that crap would cost a fortune so no thanks...instead I save that money I could be blowing and spend the rest on the business and of course basic stuff as well. Even when I did it with lawnstarter for $28, I was still making money.
You aren't making enough money IMO. You're leaving money on the table, either by pricing too low, or taking too much time not having efficient equipment.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
You aren't making enough money IMO. You're leaving money on the table, either by pricing too low, or taking too much time not having efficient equipment.
And hurting the other guys in the business with artificial low prices. However, they might not be artificially low if he is content with the profit. You remember when I came on here with two guns drawn :gunsfirin about getting rich off $40 Hr, until I formed a llc and everything went through the system plus insurance, equipment costs. payment fees. I do wonder if some people can keep it super efficient and profit sufficiently off lower prices.

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
Hi Oaklawnhoma! I respect that a lot. Most people can’t be disciplined with their personal income. I was one of the worst of them. It wasn’t until I had a family that I stopped wasting money on stupid stuff.

I think what that person meant with the question was about employees, backup plans, etc. At less than $40 / hr, it might be hard to have a part-time employee who can back you up, or help you grow your business. Because that employee would need to have enough character and trustworthiness to operate 100% on his own, drive the truck, etc. God forbid, if you roll an ankle or have a more serious health problem in the middle of the busy season, the business is doomed. BUT that’s only if you don’t have the business set up so an employee could do it (and still make you profit on top of that). Usually that means bringing in 3x the wage you’d pay someone, for each hour they work. Of course wages are different everywhere. But that 3x factor can usually cover equipment costs and other overhead like taxes, maybe even bonuses and a paid week off, while still leaving at least some cushion for profit.

Everyone on here wants everyone else to succeed. So I think the post asking that question was just trying to encourage you to charge more, if possible.

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
And hurting the other guys in the business with artificial low prices. However, they might not be artificially low if he is content with the profit. You remember when I came on here with two guns drawn :gunsfirin about getting rich off $40 Hr, until I formed a llc and everything went through the system plus insurance, equipment costs. payment fees. I do wonder if some people can keep it super efficient and profit sufficiently off lower prices.
Right on. I learned that lesson doing snow. Luckily snow where I’m at is far more profitable per-visit/minute than lawn care, and it wasn’t too painful a lesson to learn.

David Gibbs

LawnSite Member
Just heard a competitor is charging just $25 per cut to do this lawn. It’s about 10K sqft, not counting the narrow strips along the streets.

Is there any way this outfit is paying employees more than $7 an hour?

View attachment 439838

I did estimates for other 8K-10K+ sqft properties this week that have steep slopes and more complicated landscaping, and where parking is harder. Two of those said they’re paying $30. And less than $33 (which was my number) in another.

Are these what we would call low-ball offers? Am I right to refuse to compete against this? And do the employees for that company know they’re getting overworked and ripped off?