Is this normal? String Trimmer Gear Housing Very Hot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by JLH52, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JLH52

JLH52 LawnSite Member

Echo 2620T recent purchase : USED trimmer today approximately 2 hrs., 50% of time WOT. At finish I rubbed my hand down drive shaft to remove debris and noticed the lower end (approximately 15-20 inches) and gear housing assembly were to hot to touch. Normally would have been wearing gloves and not noticed. In a few minutes it had cooled off.

I've been using a trimmer over 40 years and never actually placed my hand in that area immediately when stopping. Therefore that may be normal, I don’t know. Any opinions.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

They all get hot IME and after 2 hours of at least 50% WOT, I would expect it to be quite hot. Still, pull the hex plug and make sure yours has grease inside the box. If not go get some from the dealer. Stihl makes a tube of gear grease that screws right into the hole like the plug does.

3. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

Yep, Normal. There is a small amount of grease in the housing. You can double check and add if needed.

Flybywire likes this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Well put RG

I haven't noticed it before being that hot on mine I'll have to check

There was just another similar thread the other day

5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

A few my newest trimmers have Zero greasing requirements. No shaft or gearbox grease needed. 2 season going strong w/no grease. Time will tell

Cam15 likes this.
  6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

The Stihl tube is convenient if you have a Stihl, but I don't see how it would help on an Echo. Does Echo also use that weird metric thread that makes it impossible to screw a zerk into a Stihl head?

Anyway, yeah, the gearbox should be hot to the touch after some use, even when greased properly. But running it without grease will shorten its life. BTW, too much grease is also probably bad.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Echo has a tube of grease too red armor

Its lithium grease for gears and tubes on echos some have a zert ie the hedge trimmers

Heres a picture of the plug on string trimmer attachment its the hex bolt
    20190928_110013.jpg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Cam15 and Ridin' Green like this.
  8. Brucey

Brucey LawnSite Member

I believe the Stihl recommendation is check every 25 hours and add up to 5 grams - filling it completely = not good, no space for air cooling.

The FS trimmer line you would use the "Superlub FS". I'm guessing this is for the high speed gears

Hedgetrimmers they have the "Multilub", for slower speed gearboxes?

I would imagine for the Echos you would want to have a similar lubing schedule.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I have used my Stihl grease tube on my Husky and RM trimmers as well. It may not fit them exact, but it screwed on far enough or at the very least lined up well enough to work. I don't have an Echo trimmer to try it on so can't speak to that with authority, but I seem to remember seeing Echo grease tubes at the dealer here.

hort101 likes this.
  10. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

For my Echo's I add grease once every summer and never have issues. The gearboxes do get hot however.

Cam15, That Guy Gary, hort101 and 2 others like this.