Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new Scag Turf Tiger with the 29hp Kaw DFI engine. When I move the throttle lever down prior to turning off the engine, I hear a somewhat loud "pop". Is this normal? I tried moving the lever very slowly, but that didn't help much.

I also bought the hard clamshell bagger and it's a handful for one person to install and remove from the mower. Has anyone made a dolly stand or have any suggestions or techniques to make it easier. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm sure you will get a better answer from someone else here, but just offering my two cents here. I do know that when you are done mowing and if you immediatly trun off the engine and you hear a "pop" that is excess fuel exploding in the cylider due to the engine head being so hot.

If that happens, that means that the engine is too hot to turn off, and for proper maintenance of the engine you should let it idle at low for a couple of minutes to cool down before you do turn the enigine off... so that you do not hear that pop.

Yours is poping when you throttle down though, so I think that may mean it is running a little rich?

·
Registered
37 Posts
One more thing, you should probably let the dealer deal with that, but if you wanted to expeirment you could try to use the next higher test gas (burns faster) or widen the gap of the spark plug to get a hotter explosion to burn the fuel better ... but while under warrenty probablly shouldnt do that.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
For some engines it's normal when quickly easing the throttle from load. My L-head cultivator sometimes blows fire out the exhaust when doing this. You're sending air in the exhaust where it ignites excess fuel.

Just like trimmerassist said it could be running rich, an ignition problem, overheating or a hole in the muffler.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I believe what he is talking about is when he throttles down he hears a poping like a small backfire. My 29 dfi does this also. I too will be getting it looked at when I take my mower in for service the next time. I would say it probably needs a little adjustment of some sort. Luckily my dealer is a kawasaki dealer. And has kawaski trained technicians. They will get to the bottom of it.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
I have to shut my Kohler down at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle otherwise it will sound like a shotgun going off. :) If I try to shut it off after letting it idle for a minute, it's even worse, more like a 7mm magnum! With that said, I don't think either is related. The DFI problem could be in the programing of the control box. EPA has tightened up the fuel consumption on mowers by quite a bit so maybe the DFI's are set real lean from the factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.