Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has had a lean to it for at least 10 years.
Based on the larger branches on the right it is trying to compensate
Should this homeowner be concerned?
TIA

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don’t know the exact answer to your question but seems like you’ve been asked if the tree should be removed. That question really needs an arborist. But another way of looking at it is, any tree can fall at any time. Wet soil and high winds take down many otherwise healthy trees. That is a big tree. If it falls, what might it land on? Is that risk acceptable? Looks to be basically in the middle of nowhere. Do kids play on and under it? Is there a house it can land on? A street? If an arborist is not in the cards, tell the client you don’t have a crystal ball, any tree can fall at any time and if that’s a major problem (risk to life or unacceptable risk of severe property damage), the tree should come down.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I don’t know the exact answer to your question but seems like you’ve been asked if the tree should be removed. That question really needs an arborist. But another way of looking at it is, any tree can fall at any time. Wet soil and high winds take down many otherwise healthy trees. That is a big tree. If it falls, what might it land on? Is that risk acceptable? Looks to be basically in the middle of nowhere. Do kids play on and under it? Is there a house it can land on? A street? If an arborist is not in the cards, tell the client you don’t have a crystal ball, any tree can fall at any time and if that’s a major problem (risk to life or unacceptable risk of severe property damage), the tree should come down.
That is the correct answer. One thing I did notice is the girdling root. Other than that, I would consider this tree to be a low risk.

·
Super Moderator
19,383 Posts
Who plants trees at an angle?
Other than that, a tree will reach for the sunlight. The leaves need maximum sun. Was this tree shaded by another tree or a house?
Was it straight and then blown sideways by a hurricane?
Roots killed or covered by concrete on the right? Roots restricted by concrete basement?
Trees will normally balance themselves. Same amount of weight on the left as the right.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks nice to me. "But what do I know? I'm just a caveman!"
Why didn't they stake it earlier?
I forget which, but is it a sycamore species that grows insanely fast, strong, and tall? The ones I'm thinking of are like the Bamboo of trees.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
There's a road around here that runs parallel to railroad tracks which run parallel to the Allegheny river.
River, railroad tracks, road, then steep mountain right along the road, so wide open sunshine on the river side, and a shady hillside on the othe side of the road.

There are mature sycamore trees planted the entire length of that road, and they are far larger than that tree, and they lean FAR more at an angle than that tree, as they reach for the sun.
Probably been there a hundred years.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
It's fine. I have a neighbor down the street with an oak with a worse lean than that and it has few branches to balance it out. It has survived every hurricane that's hit it while others close by succumbed to the storms. They are dirty trees and I'm glad I don't have one close by.

Reactions: RussellB

·
Registered
966 Posts
Because our society is so litigious, an arborist will always say when in doubt cut it out. This will prevent liability and potential law suits.
You are right, of course, but reality is what it is. The homeowner may be trying to pass liability to the OP if it falls. No thanks — advice is, yeah, it might fall or it might not. Martians might invade the earth, here’s my invoice :) .

Reminds me of a healthy tree years ago, a giant. It fell across several back yards and damaged several houses. No indication of a problem so no “liability,” but it destroyed several rooms in the several houses and just a matter of luck that no one was hurt or killed. Should it have been taken down? Well, it was a magnificent specimen. But ordinary people, not lawyers even, built houses all around it. Since no tree I’ve ever known has lived forever, if it were up to me, yup, sorry magnificent tree, time to go. Little kids live in those houses and a lot easier to cut the tree than kick the kids out of their houses. Just the way it is.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
All of those trees are in trouble. If you click on that picture a couple of times, it gets bigger and someone has been pilling mulch on it. The ones by the street (pines?) are worse, and looks like there is about 2 foot high pile of mulch on them. The Sycamore seems to have the least amount though.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
All of those trees are in trouble. If you click on that picture a couple of times, it gets bigger and someone has been pilling mulch on it. The ones by the street (pines?) are worse, and looks like there is about 2 foot high pile of mulch on them. The Sycamore seems to have the least amount though.

From the looks of it, I think the trees with the mulch volcanoes are on the neighbor's property.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You are right, of course, but reality is what it is. The homeowner may be trying to pass liability to the OP if it falls. No thanks — advice is, yeah, it might fall or it might not
All you have to do is speak in terms of risk, high risk, moderate risk, low risk, that's it. The homeowner is the one evaluating the risk and deciding if it's worth it to keep the tree or not. It's when you start saying the tree is safe or not that things can get squishy

And for the OP, if they're interested in keeping the tree, they'll want it pruned by a competent Arborist at some point. It looks to have been topped (broken central leader anyway if not topped ) once, maybe twice over it's lifetime. That's why the abnormally large lateral branches. Through corrective pruning they can help reestablish a strong central leader.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
It's fine. I have a neighbor down the street with an oak with a worse lean than that and it has few branches to balance it out. It has survived every hurricane that's hit it while others close by succumbed to the storms. They are dirty trees and I'm glad I don't have one close by.
Yep. "Filthy" is an accurate description.
Between the hard chunks of falling bark, the rock-hard twigs that drop all the time, and the crunchy-dry leaves that fall far sooner than any tree around, they make a mess.
I gotta wear my Wolfsnout dust mask when I mow on this street when the leaves start dropping.
Pic taken TWO weeks ago. Normal trees are just now starting to show some color change.
Plant Building Window Sky Tree

1 - 20 of 32 Posts