1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Is your business being impacted by the coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by 1idejim, Mar 14, 2020.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Many businesses are shutting their doors temporarily, schools, sports and arts venues and even political rallies. Lots of businesses will suffer.

My buddy Billy called me this morning to say he’s looking for a job to supplement income lost from rodeo cancellations.
    Some call it a pandemic, I think it’s still just a bad type of flu.

2. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Fanatic

My business at the moment is doing well as I have many HOAs and associated contracts to install drainage, irrigation repairs and a large planting project. At this time I can't say what will happen with my residential work as my Spring season is two weeks away. My sense is that people are canceling vacations and may concentrate on the home front which could signal a good residential season ahead. The next 2-4 weeks will tell.

I tend to agree with the bad type of flu handle. My concern is with my many elderly clients-upwards of 1000 over 80 years old. I have known some of them since they got married and some are now great grandparents.

TheC-Master, tdipaul, sjessen and 2 others like this.
  3. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

The rain is having more of an impact on us, plenty of installs to do when the weather allows. Startups are scheduled, and should be full swing in 2 weeks.

I'll definitely be keeping my distance from customers during startups, but luckily we dont have to interact with most of them anyway. As for most of us, our clients are the type that travel, so it's a little concerning.

My wife and I have always kept to ourselves anyway, as do the couple guys I work with. So I'm not too concerned about that aspect.

TheC-Master and hort101 like this.
  4. Prefectturfnj

Prefectturfnj LawnSite Member

Haven’t seen a issue yet , kinda hoping with the panic everyone will want to stay indoors and more people will be calling for lawn care and landscaping services , but then again with all the free time they will have they might do it them self time will tell

TheC-Master and hort101 like this.
  5. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Senior Member

I've had several cancellations so far in regards to projects,
    and just lost a customer yesterday all because they are afraid of what the financial impact that the virus is going to have on them

I live in the Pacific Northwest where it's absolute madness right now. Store shelves are ravaged. Restaurants and bars are empty, and everyone is wearing masks. The financial impact of this is going to be insane.

6. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if people understand how much it will be to install new sod/ornamentals if you let it all go to hell for long periods.the financial impact will be insane but this is an opportunity for those with smarts to come up with new ideas and methods.

7. cold-beer

I don't think our industry will be hit as hard as something like the hospitality industry, but we're all going to take a hit if this doesn't pass in the next few weeks.

I will say that a guy like me isn't going to get hit nearly as hard as the big boys, and I have no problem undercutting them to put food on my table if this turns into 2008. I'll be just fine because my overhead is so low

TheC-Master and No gloves like this.
  8. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's unavoidable that we are all going to feel a big financial impact because of the panic. We really haven't seen anywhere near the worst of this yet. It's barely spread, (like 3000 cases as of today) in a country with 327 million people and it's already caused mass hysteria everywhere of schools, businesses, etc, etc closing.

I keep hearing all this conversation about containment by isolation and the media pointing to China as an example of how this thing slows down if you "act diligently" like China. (which of course is laughable to trust anything coming from china to begin with). Of course it slows down when everyone is isolated to their homes, but what happens when they leave again and go back to their normal lives? It only takes 1 active case to begin the spread again and it's not like that can actually be controlled anyway. I think the best hope we have of this thing going away anytime soon is really warm weather possibly killing off the virus much like the flu. If that doesn't happen, not really sure what the point of isolation is unless we intend to all isolate until a vaccine is discovered, which could be years or never.

9. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly,gotta love small yards,losses hurt but not debilitating

10. cold-beer

Cheers to that.

I've also been very diligent about building my clientele up with little old ladies on Social Security or disabled folks on fixed incomes. I did this by offering discounts to these demographics right from the get-go. This is my second business, and I wanted a more recession-proof book this time around. I learned a pretty good lesson in 2008 by having a job that wasn't recession-proof, and kept that in mind when I decide to go back to the lawn life.