1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Is your business being impacted by the coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by 1idejim, Mar 14, 2020.

1. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

But their customers need tgs " free lawn analysis":dizzy::)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

My top question has always been "Did we need that aeration visit in March?" (when systems are not yet operating, and heads aren't getting flagged)

hort101 and fritowrdo like this.
  3. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Cops are overloaded with too much ACTUAL crime.
    Also, police are shorthanded, due to many Officers placed in quarantine.
    Needless to say, I (and other lawn & tree companies) have been out working the past 2 days of the STAY INSIDE Order with not 1 question as to why.

This also makes for an interesting read.....
    www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/24/coronavirus-covid-19-michigan-stay-home-order-confusion/2911562001/

4. OP
    OP
    1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

5. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Just added a COVID 19 page to website and link to it at top of home page. Plus added it as an option on the navigation menu in the header.

The page has a link to the CDC's COVID page and a list of the specific things I'm doing, including but not limited to me being a solo operation with zero contact with anyone throughout my day.

It may alleviate some fears for those that are searching.

The following may sound like take advantage of the virus with marketing, but I don't mean it that way....

But if your competition doesn't have anything on their pages and you do, you're more likely to get them to contact you and get the business.

6. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Silver Member

Lets face facts. You said in an earlier post that nobody has the virus in your county.....well if you spit into the wind where you live, the spit most likely will only hit you. If i did that, it would hit me and 3 other people if i was in San Francisco.

In my county of San Joaquin, 6 people have already died form it..Common theme, older people who just got done traveling from a country that has full blown problems.

Unless you are like me who watched my wife intubated for 13 days because of influenza , you could see why i'm a little touchy about this.

Let me do say this....i am still working and not necessarily considered an essential service but keeping a level head and common sense approach is what is keeping me going.

This is the first time that i am seeing government working the way that it should be working, trying to protect the people.

This flu/virus has always been around. It is this particular strain has always been in animals and not humans. When we get influenza, our human bodies recognizes it as a virus and our immune system will attack it. This virus somehow mutated into a strain that allowed it to transfer from an animal host to human host. The issue is, the human immune system doesn't recognize it for what it is and unable to attack it. That is the hit, our bodies don't know what and how to defend itself. Then the big hit, this virus is mutating so fast, its difficult to figure out how it is working and how to stop it from multiplying.

That is the reason why its so dangerous. Its a virus that was only in the animal kingdom and has come into the homo sapien world .

The only way to flatten the curve from this virus is to limit the viruses ability to spread. Hence the stay in place order.

Now if we only could get these politicians with big mouths to shut up, that would help.

My wife who was at a specialized cancer clinic outside of Atlanta GA can no longer go to the clinic because it was deemed that her traveling from Cleveland, TN to the clinic would expose her to much. What do i hear on the news yesterday, Atlanta GA is one of 3 new hot spots.

So guys, before you start thinking how ridiculous this fear is, for once its the real thing. What is the shame is how many people act like lambs and follow the lead ram and jump off the cliff. Really, you need so much toilet paper???? I remember using cloth diapers with my sister and mom using a wash cloth to wipe her but...and the old part of Europe and the Japs are on to something with the Bidet thing. The only reason things can't be found on the shelves because people are just plain STUPID.

So watch what you say. This pandemic has hit me from all around. I can't **** without worrying about how i'm going to clean my ass, cant make myself a nice omelette because because there might be no more eggs and have to expose myself to lead because there's no more bottled water for me to buy when on the job.

Seriously, it has affected me personally. My wife can no longer get her treatments. I have had 2 cousins in France and Spain that are not much older than me die. This is a nasty and very dangerous virus. Listen to what is being said, don't believe everything that you hear and learn what you can do about it yourself.

7. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you for sharing and I hope you and your loved ones make it safely through this.

I'm in an area where I can safely spit in my own face so to speak and it almost sucks watching it unfold on the sidelines.

I would like to point out that this virus actually doesn't mutate quickly, it is relatively stable and this is a good thing in regard to fighting it. Unlike the seasonal flu, once a vaccine is available there won't be much risk that it's not genetically close enough to what's in the wild today. The vaccines should be very effective. If the serum antibody therapies show effectiveness a low mutation rate will be beneficial there too.

8. sjwater

sjwater LawnSite Member

There is a saying about "know your customer", so people look at the news and see what is going on and are naturally scared and worried and run anyone and everyone from their house and property and hide away.

Our so-called leaders all around country were telling us "not to worry", and then things changed on a dime and folks don't know who and what to believe at the moment and are scared. Knowing that is important.

People see the info and are worried, that is all I am saying, nothing else.

I tend to agree about some folks over-reacting, but that is human nature also. Some can handle pressure and fear better than others.

This is what is going on world-wide:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

This is for USA:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Both sites are updated almost hourly.

9. sjwater

sjwater LawnSite Member

Oh, this morning the report says over 3.2Million filed for unemployment benefits. The numbers are suppose to increase next week.

That will effect every business hands down, no matter how one slices it. People have to decide food, rent, medicine, gas, or lawn care.

I doubt even if this "shelter in place" is removed, folks go out and mingle normally for a while.

This virus is serious, no matter what type of "got feeling" anyone has. We all have to pitch in and help regardless, that is my 2 cents worth of opinion.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

How did someone so utterly incompetent get elected?