1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Is your business being impacted by the coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by 1idejim, Mar 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

it’s a demonstration/example
    Not a real problem that needs solving

cheap Chinese shovels dont have lifetime warranty

2. Carolina Cuttin' Company

Carolina Cuttin' Company LawnSite Senior Member

My .02. (Just throwing it out there to see what people do with it.)

We are in control collectively. The consumer as a demographic. We are not in control individually. Each and every consumer by himself. To take control would require either an unorchestrated change in attitude over time, or a concerted, coordinated effort, to strategically take back one market after another.

Thoughts?

fritowrdo and Tara Ann like this.
  3. hedgehog_MI

hedgehog_MI LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it was more of a response to the community as a whole than meant directed solely to you. I am aware that the "cheap Chinese shovels" do not come with a lifetime warranty. The discussion I was commenting on was a do I keep buying cheap shovels or pay a little more and get better quality shovels — and the folly of buying a more expensive shovel when it is going to have to be replaced constantly from being broken. My point was you can buy a good quality shovel that has a lifetime warranty on it, but usually at a higher cost. Second point being that usually more expensive shovels are built from the get-go using better quality materials and components, and may not even break as often as the cheap brands. Then if it does break, it can be replaced for free instead of having to buy cheap shovel after shovel when they break. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough and confused some of you with the unclear explanation of my thoughts. I will try to reread my comments before I post them with my eyes half-closed so I only see half of the words in my comment. THEN, if I can understand it, I will put it out there. ;-)

4. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Well here is one vote, that your services are essential.

(although let us not forget how diffcult it can be in normal times to find such a great excuse to be lazy and hobby, so that we may take advantage of it now) ((I face the same delema: decisions, decisions))

hort101 likes this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

That’s a boycott
    Like a social media campaign to refuse to by Chinese

things have changed over time
    Smoking/tobacco habits for example
    Fashion (anyone wear bell bottoms and platform shoes or powdered wigs and tricorner hats?)

Water beds ... those seemed to go away on their own.

comic books.... they aren’t worth anything like they used to be.

somethings change naturally

but
    Continuing to support a nation like china, just because $12 t shirts are appealing

i would rather buy $50 carharrts all day long, as long as I can get the satisfaction that China can’t export anything, including a virus , again
    I’d be 100% behind a permanent travel ban on china, like exists/has existed with Cuba

I’d happily stop buying iPhones or other Apple products until they pull Out of china, even if it means buying a Nokia flip phone.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Nokia phones are made by Foxconn, who manufactures the Apple iPhone.

Some control.

7. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Then show us how we are not.

I have described how we as consumers control what companies make by our purchases.

I have shown how we control politicians by voting them out.

You have shown............

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Boots, how’s the coronavirus affecting you since you don’t work and you’re fully protected when you go out
    F1D16822-E3D2-40D1-9444-76C0681F6353.jpeg

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  9. Optimal Irrigation Corp.

Optimal Irrigation Corp. LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

China is one of the only processors of rare earth metals. Rare earth metals are used in everything from phones to computer chips to military equipment. Processing rare earth metals is an environmental disaster and is why most countries don't do it. You can't just block China like Cuba unfortunately... they don't just roll cigars and have nice beaches.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

you be sure to let us know when the next made-in-U.S.A. cell phone is on the market - until then, keep typing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.