• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

is your ZTR ambidextrous?

Grass Cake

LawnSite Senior Member
Most ztr's i've demoed/used seem to be right-handed!

<insert goofy look>

When crossing a hillside,they all seem to stick better when traveling from left to right.:dizzy:
There must be a reason for this!

Discuss please.

prosperity

LawnSite Member
Are you right handed?

Not trying to be funny - our brain works in mysterious ways, and the first thing that came to mind was being left handed or right handed.

Maybe when going left to right, your right hand is on the stick on the low side, which is the side that has all the control when going along a slope.

OP
Grass Cake

Grass Cake

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you right handed?

Not trying to be funny - our brain works in mysterious ways, and the first thing that came to mind was being left handed or right handed.

Maybe when going left to right, your right hand is on the stick on the low side, which is the side that has all the control when going along a slope.
Interesting.....the upper tire always seems to lose traction when going right to left. I never considered my left arm sensitivity.Possible though.

lawnspecialties

LawnSite Silver Member
Every ztr I've owned always had better traction on hillsides when the left side is on the down side. I'm pretty sure this is because decks usually stick out farther on the left for trimming purposes and this allows the deck to keep the ztr from leaning too far.:)

Idealtim

LawnSite Senior Member
The rear tire pressures have alot to do with grip and/or tracking. Less than 5 pounds difference will make a amazing difference. Speaking from expierience here, too.

mkroher

LawnSite Senior Member
haha... i thought I was being weird when I do scary slopes in a certain direction. I'm too chicken to do it the other way. I thought I was the only one :)

go lawnsite!