Issue mixing Sedgehammer & Speedzone?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bluelude1, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

It's recommended to use a non-ionic surfactant with Sedgehammer, but I also need to spray some Speedzone on the same area which I've heard multiple times doesn't need a surfactant.

Is there any issue mixing the Sedgehammer w/ surfactant and the speedzone?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

No problems. If anything, because Speedzone is formulated with a nonionic surfactant and a low viscosity crop oil, surfactants are not needed. I often use Speedzone instead of surfactant if I have to go after Sedges and broadleaves in a lawn.

hort101 likes this.
  3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

I’d skip additional surfactant and just run speedzone/sedgehammer

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

5. Bluelude1

Think there would be any issue if I did add the surfactant just to be on the safe side?

6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Too much surfactant will burn the turf. I looked at the MSDS though and Speedzone doesn't look like it contains it.

The issue i with the carfentrazone. I think it's tall fescue and warm season grasses that can be injured by it.

If you have time I'd do some spot treat testing. Or just split the apps.

7. Bluelude1

Talked with Speedzone and they didn't think the surfactant or sedgehammer would be an issue.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I did a few tests two years ago--non-ionic surfactant did not injure grass even at high rates. But the surfactants did not improve the effectiveness much.

Quiksilver (carfentrazone) claims to be safe on most grass types.

9. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Doc, glad to see ya postin again. Hope all is well and you made through OK with
    your family issues.