Issues with another contractor on site what to do

landscapedesignpros

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a customer that hired a pool contractor to install a pool as part of that project they are doing a retaining wall and pool coping. While we were there doing some tree work and helping the home owner lay out some pathways as the pool guys dont seem able to make nice bed lines the home owner has been asking me if the pool guys are doing the wall and coping correctly. At first all I have done is say that I would have done it this way and explain how I would have done it. We exceed app man specs. But now After a couple of times that I have been asked by the home owner I am starting to wonder if when the wall or coping fails (yes its when not if) and my customer asks me to fix it and I tell them that it was done wrong in the first place will she hold me accountable as she has asked repeatedly if it is being done correctly. What should I do?

do I just continue on not answering the question when asked by the home owner and tell her how I would do it?
do I talk to the pool guy?
do I talk to the home owner?
so I talk to my supplier?

I dont want to bad mouth any one or pick on some one but this is not the proper way to install this and I feel like I am involved as they have been asking me for my professional opinion .

Thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
Tell your customer that it would be inappropriate for you to comment any further on another contractors work. Remain professional and let your customer decide if she made a mistake or not. The more you become involved with this situation the worse it will become for you. Know your business and mind it unless it directly effects your contracted work.
easy-lift guy

OP
L

landscapedesignpros

LawnSite Senior Member
That has been my view but as she has asked me repeatedly I am now worried that when it fails and she calls me to fix it she will ask why I didnt tell her so. She even asked me to extend one of their walls as she feels more comfortable with me and I even told her that I would not connect to his wall as it will move differently than mine due to the way it was installed. She is having me to a big outdoor kitchen after the pool guys are done so our fates are going to be intertwined here.

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic
Just tell her you're not comfortable with their work and can't guarantee the work you perform because of theirs.

If she chooses to listen, charge accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
I believe you need to have a sit down with the customer and explain to her that you can not be responsible for what another contractor that she has hired has done. If your customer has made a mistake you should not feel obligated to take the fall as well. Your customer needs to understand your responsibility and her responsibility.
In the future if you have any reservations MYOB, complete the contracted work you have been hired for.
easy-lift guy

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
just like my writings on this forum, in real life I'm a straight shooter with my customers, I tell it like it is.

Now I would not just say "oh the wall looks horrible, these guys are clowns", I have a way of being transparent with my customers and diplomatic.

The hard aspect is - the people will probably know it was you that told the owner they are doing poor work.

On the other hand - any contractor can ALWAYS find flaws with another contractor's work. A few months ago I'm on here writing about lack of design and poor color choice, and a fellow forum member is going through an OLD, outdated website of mine picking out all the flaws he can! LOL See, us veteran contractors are used to that. We built a large retaining wall a while back. Well, the customers 6 months later were ready for paver installation. Another contractor was about $2500 less than us, so we did not get the job. I'm talking to the customer, doing a follow up call and he's telling me about how he went with the other contractor, he then starts telling me what the other contractor said about our retaining wall. The items thee other contractor picked apart about our retaining wall were all things that I set thought into and did PURPOSELY, with RHYME and REASON. I wasn't phased by what the other contractor said, and I reminded the customer why we did what we did and it all made sense to him. I didn't lose any sleep, but I did have 1/2 the mind to call the other contractor and say "look you doe-doe-brain, that was built with the intent that the patio would divert water away from the wall and you installed the patio dead level you stupid moron, now hydrostatic pressure will blow the 12' high wall to smithereens, idiot". Moral of my story is that anyone that wants to find something wrong - will. And it's easy to do.

So maybe landscapesdesignpros is being over critical? Or maybe landscapesdesignpros is 100% right?

I don't like doing jobs when anyone else is on the property. In fact, about 2 months ago a client asked me if some other contractor could be there while we did our work, and I said "no, please let us come do our thing and we'll be out of your hair as quickly as possible".

OP
L

landscapedesignpros

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes I couldnt agree more two good contractors will each have their own way of doing things the "right way" as there are 100 ways to skin a cat. Ive never been this bothered before while working on site with another contractor as every one has their ways. I have asked one of my suppliers and my one of my block reps for their thoughts before I do any thing. If the home owner had only asked me once or maybe twice I wouldnt be as worried but Ive been asked probly every time Im on site, so 10 times.

alldayrj

LawnSite Gold Member
What are they doing so wrong? I hate working with other guys on site. Who parked in the driveway, left crap all over the lawn, took all the outlets and the hose etc. let me know when theyre done and ill be back

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
One of my lines I say to home owners is "you can speak to 4 different contractors, each will tell you something completely different, and each will be correct"
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums