1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Isuzu NPR dovetail ramp plans?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kgb, Nov 10, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    kgb

kgb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Beck thank you for your help. Will start building this weekend if all goes well.

hort101 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    kgb

kgb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hunterdon. I did search. Beck from MO and this site was my best help.

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    kgb

kgb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I'm going with 3ft dovetail and 6ft ramp. My box only 14' and need more space, but for the price I paid or should I say stole it will work for now. Next truck will be 16 or 18 or maybe I retire....

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    kgb

kgb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Why dovetail sucks?

5. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I think it's a great idea. Just get some 1x4 lumber and clamp to the truck to mock up to figure your angles and lengths. Try to utilize existing holes if attaching to frame. And don't block the taillights.

I'm looking to do the same thing in a couple years.

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Bronze Member

Why does dovetail suck? Without it the ramp would be so big it would probably need hydraulic assist and probably stick up above the truck box. And you can park on a dovetail and you can’t a ramp. All of my trailers are dovetails and if I ever finish my truck ramp it’ll be dovetail.

hort101 and zlandman like this.
  7. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Best wishes with your project. Hope it goes smooth for you.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

They stick out adding extra length to trucks. Easier to back into things. Can’t pull into spots as easily or pull out of them. Highly susceptible to hitting things with the tail swing. Adding extra weight way past the rear axle. The need for extra lights and wiring. And if your parking stuff on there you can no longer close the rear door.

Now I have both. And will continue to use both. But those are the reasons the bifold ramp is the clear winner. IMO looks better also. But work with what you have and make it work.

knox gsl and hort101 like this.
  9. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Silver Member

I have a bi fold ramps as well and love them. I’ve thought about going with the dovetail route but I believe I would drag some places I service. I don’t think you can still pull a trailer with a dovetail either but not sure.

10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Trailering with dovetail truck is possible but not common. There has to be a substantial frame extension to accommodate a hitch.

caseysmowing likes this.