1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Isuzu NPR dovetail ramp plans?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kgb, Nov 10, 2019.

1. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

How is the project coming along?

hort101 likes this.
  2. JaekayDesign

JaekayDesign LawnSite Senior Member

ha! Love your reply . I live in Macon, Ga... and about to start making “Super lawn Trailers” instead of Tony’s “super lawn trucks” , going go have a dedicated “leaf trailer” with room for a stand on blower or mower.... side gate/ramp. 2 backpack blowers, big billy goat mounted up on a rack to the side . Rake racks. And all 3 hydraulic rams (ramp/back door/lift-dump ) all on a 6 way wired remote. 2 batteries and solar charger. All on a beefed up single axle with brakes.., but WAY LIGHTER than all the other “ dump leaf trailers”
    The open “cutting” trailers will be equipped to handle two big mowers, green touch racks( powder coated red or orange .. for the gravely or scag owners here) , dovetail, custom gas can rack for VP gas cans.. ( sorry, don’t want a valve at the bottom of my expensive gas cans.. and expensive racks... no cage.. no exposed locks to cut. Everything low (lower wind drag) and everything secure and looking nice. The old “ landscape trailers” with the cages and bunk racks.. are outdated and all locks are exposed to the big red key ..
    Just my thoughts/opinions/views...

3. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

While I'm not a fan of trailers I recognize that they are very popular and I welcome any innovation in our industry. Enclosed trucks or trailers offer so many advantages over the open concept that it surprises me that established companies still use them. I think there is a lot more that we can do improve service delivery.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Can an enclosed truck or trailer load 2-4 pallets of sod? Carry soil, rock etc...?

5. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

That's why we have dump trucks.

6. JaekayDesign

JaekayDesign LawnSite Senior Member

One of the main advantages to the open trailer and how I am going to have them laid out is.. lighter, things lower to the ground.. so less wind drag. Everything in locking racks, and versatility.
    Even the leaf trailer will have space to carry a mower or stand on blower, yet the bin will be a lightweight as I can build it, and have a heavy duty cycle for carrying leaves , pine straw, and grass cuttings. Basically anything the big billy goat can suck up... bin size..,,maybe 9’ long.. 6.25’ high x 6.25’ wide.. maybe 14 gauge on the floor, the lighter gauge on the walls. All square 1.5” thin wall tubing. Mesh top. ( make my own, sew up the edges and double up a 1” strip.. put big grommets all along the edges and lace that up with a small cord from rock climbing supply. Have a 1/2 round bar welded 14” down from the top... to lace the top down to... 28hp billy goat, (2) green touch blower racks, space for a mower/stand up blower, (2) space VP style gas tank holder, with gas cans( color coded). Box for hydraulic pump under the shelf for the Billy Goat “Debris Loader” .
    All the open “cutting” trailers will have all Green Touch racks , repowder coated in Orange or Red, to go on black or green trailers. Mostly dovetail, I’ll find a (2) place holder for VP gas cans, supply the gas cans, also, (2) blower racks, (2) trimmer racks, Cooler rack, cooler... a small 23” wide tool box. Maybe a sprayer rack, if requested, and or a rack for smaller hand held hedge trimmers. I would have to get those powder coated as well. Thankfully we have a few places in town that all do really good jobs.
    Trailers are cheap here in Georgia. They are made locally and are plemtiful and cheap.

7. OP
    OP
    kgb

kgb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Done. Looks good. 3ft tail and 6ft ramp.

20200102_112343.jpg

20200102_112410.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    kgb

kgb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Done,

20200102_112236.jpg

20200102_112236.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  9. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Not many guys have the foresight to carry a fire extinguisher in the back like that. I had one but the special mount I bought for it dropped it like its hot.

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    kgb

kgb LawnSite Member
    from NJ

all my trucks have one. Had fire started by dry leaves on my mower before... cheap investment

zlandman and hort101 like this.