It's a monster. What would it take/charge.....

Oxmow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Tell him that you only want to pay him for the ACTUAL time he works with YOUR tax money. Not lunch, not smoking, not talking to the pretty lady in the next cubicle...don't think he could survive on 12 minutes a days pay!

StanTucker20

LawnSite Member
I have a opportunity to do some clean up at a large number of properties with tall grass debris an over growth how should I charge for it I will need mini excavator skid loaders an dump truck

La Chandler

LawnSite Senior Member
I would never even consider an account that size unless you have the current labor without hiring in an entire crew for a property that size. It's inevitable that at some point you will get outbid by another company. Especially if they want year to year contracts. Again I don't know your situation but losing an account that size and trying to fill that void of loss of income would sink alot of small to medium lawn care companies. For me the investment in equipmentand labor wouldn't be worth it in this business with no real guarantee on return with a year to year contract.
My thoughts exactly. Pass.

iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
Had the walk through today. The manager wants a total bid, then broken down when invoiced. He wants to be invoiced for hours worked for each task and then bill them for those amounts, so he only pays what time was spent and he knows what your are charging per hour for everything and how long it takes you for each thing. If you over bid the years amount because you didn't use all the hours worth, he keeps it. If you under bid and used more hours, than to bad, to sad.
So did you start laughing before you realized he wasn't joking ?

La Chandler

LawnSite Senior Member
Just tell him your hourly rate and leave it at that
This should be the basis for all charges- by the minute, and variable by the amount of time service is provided. The average cost of windshield time should also be included. Obviously this gets complicated on huge jobs, but the same principles apply.

OP
sedge

sedge

LawnSite Fanatic
Update....

Submitted the bid. They called wanting to make sure we were good with that number and they were told, yup, we are. Then they pulled the contract listing. I'm pretty sure the supervisor we were dealing with was trying to get more money for the work around there and the state wasn't believing him, so they had him get some 'bids' and once they saw those, state gave him more money to hire a few guys.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. Much appreciated!

Last edited:

bulliebullybull

LawnSite Member
I like what one person said on here before about knowing your cost or overhead. Everyone’s price is different because everyone’s overhead is different. The beauty of staying as small as possible, overhead wise, is you can keep your prices low. $10,000 a cutting is insane but if it takes 10 hired guys and a cool million dollars worth of equipment well there ya go. Once you make a contract on a chunk of commercial property you have to figure your long term gains and losses. And the contract should last longer then your equipment payments too lol.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Update....

Submitted the bid. They called wanting to make sure we were good with that number and they were told, yup, we are. Then they pulled the contract listing. I'm pretty sure the supervisor we were dealing with was trying to get more money for the work around there and the state wasn't believing him, so they had him get some 'bids' and once they saw those, state gave him more money to hire a few guys.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. Much appreciated!
You need a consulting fee.