1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

It's a monster. What would it take/charge.....

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by sedge, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him that you only want to pay him for the ACTUAL time he works with YOUR tax money. Not lunch, not smoking, not talking to the pretty lady in the next cubicle...don't think he could survive on 12 minutes a days pay!

MNLawns, scaypa, sedge and 2 others like this.
  2. StanTucker20

StanTucker20 LawnSite Member
    from Trenton

I have a opportunity to do some clean up at a large number of properties with tall grass debris an over growth how should I charge for it I will need mini excavator skid loaders an dump truck

3. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

My thoughts exactly. Pass.

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Sub contract the $20 "any yard" guys that put those signs up. Then pocket the rest.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

So did you start laughing before you realized he wasn't joking ?

6. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell him your hourly rate and leave it at that

7. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Member

This should be the basis for all charges- by the minute, and variable by the amount of time service is provided. The average cost of windshield time should also be included. Obviously this gets complicated on huge jobs, but the same principles apply.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Update....

Submitted the bid. They called wanting to make sure we were good with that number and they were told, yup, we are. Then they pulled the contract listing. I'm pretty sure the supervisor we were dealing with was trying to get more money for the work around there and the state wasn't believing him, so they had him get some 'bids' and once they saw those, state gave him more money to hire a few guys.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. Much appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    sjessen likes this.
  9. bulliebullybull

bulliebullybull LawnSite Member

I like what one person said on here before about knowing your cost or overhead. Everyone’s price is different because everyone’s overhead is different. The beauty of staying as small as possible, overhead wise, is you can keep your prices low. $10,000 a cutting is insane but if it takes 10 hired guys and a cool million dollars worth of equipment well there ya go. Once you make a contract on a chunk of commercial property you have to figure your long term gains and losses. And the contract should last longer then your equipment payments too lol.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You need a consulting fee.