It's becoming obvious the money is...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Jul 28, 2000.

1. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I did both Pro's and Cons:<br>Lawn maintenance 10 months a year steady income. Drought will kill you if this is your sole income. Less money on per job figure.<br>Landscaping booming in the Spring and Fall slower in the Summer. You must seek work all the time. My advice to you do mowing as a big part of your business and landscaping as an extra. Ruling one or the other out will kill you. Good Luck!!! May the grass and money always be green for you. Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We just finished a retaining wall job that paid out 25% of what we made cutting grass last year. We only cut part time so it's not a big amount of money but I know what my next new toy will be now. A Kubota with a loader for ground work. Landscape is good work to fill in when the grass slows down.

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

A couple of weeks ago a woman approached me with a desire to install perimeter planting on her property. I put in a nice mix of height, texture, and color for variation and depth, and mixed some lanscape stone in that were actually buried in the one bed. all together-85 feet of bed 2-4 feet wide variations. I put a total of 32 plants in (nothing was there previously but weeds). I quoted her 2,000 (which I thought was high, but since I am busy, I would like to be paid well for head and body aches if I am taking on more work). She didn't bat an eyelash. Took 7 man hours including picking up plants and preparing the beds. Total profit was around 1200--and no wear and tear on my equipment. She immediately wanted 2 other beds done and shrubs trimmed, and assured me that after doing such a nice job I had to come each year to maintain the shrubs !<br>I didn't find that this was any more physically demanding than a walkbehind for 7 hours. and I loved doing it...and it payed too well . Can't wait to do more!<br>Hope all of you have similar gravy jobs from time to time...and enjoy them.