Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a buddy were talking today and the subject of ground speed of our mowers came up. He said that his exmark tthp 17/48 only ran about 6-8 mph and i told him it has to run around 9-10 mph and i wanted to know how fast my gravely 15/48 ran also. So, i called a buddy at the police department over to the fire station to clock us and it was go time.

He is 6'2" @ 215+ on his
17/48 tthp w/proslide ran 9 mph

I'm 5'10" @ 150+ on my
gravely 15/48 hydro w/proslide ran 10 mph

Also took the lazer z 25 kolar 52" we have at the station and it ran 11 mph w/ a 6' 225 lbs fire medic on it.

I did not feel like mine ran that fast because i have tried his out and it feels much faster than my gravely.

Then came the drag race. (We didn't have any thing else to do a the station other than get our stuff ready for cutting when we got off in the morning.)

The tthp gets up to speed fast, but at 15-25 ft the gravely is walking away. My buddy said he thinks the bigger tires on mine is the key. What do yall think?

Why does the tthp feel faster than the gravely when it's not?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about the differince in hp and the weight of the mowers and the riders, will that make the differince?

we were having alot of fun on city time i must say!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
And you would be utterly shocked if a print out of this started
floating around borough hall right?
Man, in this day and age you have to run silent and run deep.
Don't get caught with your proverbeal "pants down"
:eek:

·
Banned
1,937 Posts
Your tax dollars at work, folks. Three firemen and a cop. how many more were standing around eating donuts?
Crawdad

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey we have to keep the grass cut at the fire station, plus we are using our own mowers to do it. I was really suprised that the Gravely did not walk off and leave my Exmark. Advertised top speed on the Exmark is 6.2 MPH and 8.3 for the Gravely. I was expecting the Gravely to pull my Exmark by several lengths across the width of the lawn aproximately 150 feet, but when we would get to the end of a row he would only be about a half mower length ahead. Kinda makes me wonder how much faster the Hustler actually is.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Originally posted by crawdad
Your tax dollars at work, folks. Three firemen and a cop. how many more were standing around eating donuts?
Crawdad
Anyone willing to put their life on the line, be it fighting fire or fighting crime can sit around all day eating doughnuts on my dime and I'm glad to finance it. By the way, I am probably the most conservative member of this forum.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We do the same ting at out station on yard day. There are two of us on my crew with lawn care companies on the side and we both bring in all of our equipment. The problem is we have less than 5000 sq. ft. of grass to cut. You want talk about over kill. Since we are about to start a mower drag race circui8t count me and my Hustler in for the next race.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
carwdad, We awnser around 300-350 calls a mouth just in my rescue company alone so when all you people start to run your bobos about what we do at the station they need to do the math. That's 10+ calls a shift in a 24 hr span. While your in bed we are up taking someones kid to the ER because they are having a siezure or a grandparent because a stroke or cutting someones teenager out of what use tobe a car. Your tax dollars pay us tobe there so when you do call we are on our way. Any time you want to come ride for a month not just a shift, and do all the things we do and cut grass after a sleepless night of all this, you jump!:angry:

·
Registered
587 Posts
my brother (partner) has often times talked about equipment competitions at company picnics. i want to too, but the thing is, i respect the equipment and the profession more than that. i do think it would be a great morale booster, but, on the other hand, that's what they make 4 wheelers for.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
You geys are lucky to be able to bring your stuff to the house. We can't have anything related to our biz in the house. Otherwise I'd have my truck lettered and bring my trailer in too.

Yes there is some downtime every now and then but we are ALWAYS there whenever someone calls. That is without delay.

I would cut at the station too but the city uses the 16' Toros and Kubotas to rip the grass up. I have been maintaining a small area at the station with fert and spray for free as a test plot. I can do that since I am in charge of buildings and grounds too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.