• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

I've made the biggest mistake

PCLL

LawnSite Member
I took on a huge Azalea job. I bid it for 10 hrs at 60 per. We worked 12 today and it's 50% complete. I've had the customer for a while now, so I feel I can admit my mistake if need be to get this corrected. Still, I must renegotiate this before I loose my tail. I need some constructive renegotiation tactics from some of you. Now that I've taken more time to look over the job I bid it at a 3rd of it's value. How should I proceed with this?

I also need to add that We ran 2 Echo SHC 210 Power Sheers for those 12 hrs. So I didn't half step w/ equipment or manpower.

robertyb

LawnSite Member
Simple, you messed up. Finish the job and take the loss and learn a leason. This was YOUR fault. Not the customer's.

OP
P

PCLL

LawnSite Member
I think you're right. I just can't help but at least admit my mistake in hopes he knows also. This sucks donkey balls. Honestly after doing this for so long I think I just got cocky with the sudden influx of Spring business. Lesson to be learned here, don't loose your head people.

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
What in the heck are you doing trimming Azelea shrubs now anyways?

ElephantNest

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
What in the heck are you doing trimming Azelea shrubs now anyways?
Many have already bloomed and are done for the year. Depending on the variety, and if they are double bloomers, I'm about to trim mine in no more than a week or two.

qwikv6

LawnSite Member
PCLL,

Chalk it up as a learning process, although an expensive one. BUT if we do not fail at some point how will we learn.

Just move on and don't make the same mistake again.

Good Luck.

OP
P

PCLL

LawnSite Member
so you are all saying that i shouldn't bring it up, no matter what? here's what i'm thinking of doing. since the estate is huge and the grass was horrible maybe i could offer to mow the entire estate for the upcharge. there's gotta be a tactical way to get the correct price.

qwikv6

LawnSite Member
You may be able to bump the price up a little, maybe 15% but I would not make an unhappy customer out of them.

Mark McC

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you do end up eating the price differential, be sure and let the customer know what happened. They'll appreciate you for taking your lumps and finishing the job and they may even be more loyal.