1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

J. Davis Landscape Contractor - 2009

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by JDavisLandscapes, Mar 31, 2009.

1. OP
    OP
    JDavisLandscapes

JDavisLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, we already do split up into 2 crews about 3-4 days a week. The second crew will usually do my smaller jobs, like mulching/trimming/ dig-out walkways etc.

It's tough to branch out too quick when you dont have guys trained well enough yet. I wouldnt be comfortable having them do a paver driveway etc. on their own yet. They are coming along though.

Here's a few snap shots from the job were on now.

Johnson Pl. 11 069.jpg

Johnson Pl. 11 066.jpg

Johnson Pl. 11 067.jpg

2. Graveslawncare

Graveslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I totally hear you on the part about having guys trained. I am trying to get the landscaping, hardscaping, and irrigation side of my company rolling, but in order to do that I have to get my butt off the mower and out of the driver seat of the maintenance truck. To do that I have to find a foreman to run that crew so I can be elsewhere. Doing that is nerve-wracking. To hand a guy the keys to everything I spent 9 years building is pretty challenging, but I know it is the only way my company can grow. It's time to make the move, but finding a guy you can put your full confidence in is probably one of the hardest parts of building a company.

Have you considered hiring an experienced hardscaper or mason as a foreman? You'll have to pay him more, but that will immediately free you up to do more as opposed to waiting until your existing guys are solid. Just a thought. Your business is further along than mine so I have no doubt you know what you're doing.

Love the project you are on right now, looks like a pretty solid good money project. Looking forward to more updates!

3. RPM90

RPM90 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

to grow your company you have to sit back and let the company run its self in the field and you do all of the paper work deal with clients, etc. If you look at any successful company the owner has spent very little time in the field and it shows. The hardest challenge is letting go but once you do you will see the rewards. Also you guys are looking for the wrong type of guys, you need to get south americans all of my guys are mexican or guatemalan you will see your company grow when u have the right guys in place.

4. OP
    OP
    JDavisLandscapes

Sorry for the lack of updates guys ive just been to busy to get on here. This extreme heat has been taking its toll on us thats for sure.

I'll put up some random shots from the last few jobs for now and post a more detailed update when I have the time and energy to do it. I have to hit the hay, another long day of laying blocks in the 100 degree weather tomorrow! I can't wait.....

40 E. Garfield 009.jpg

40 E. Garfield 013.jpg

40 E. Garfield 004.jpg

40 E. Garfield 017.jpg

40 E. Garfield 019.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    JDavisLandscapes

6. OP
    OP
    JDavisLandscapes

7. orlawncaresvc

orlawncaresvc LawnSite Senior Member

J? your work is always a masterpiece. Sweeet man

8. OP
    OP
    JDavisLandscapes

Thanks buddy

9. KE-llc

KE-llc LawnSite Senior Member

you ever get a skid steer yet? did you use the maaco in pinebrook??
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to dig up an old post. But I love this thread. I believe that is a Sioux crepe. Judging by the color of the blooms and the bark not peeling revealing another color.

Your thread is an inspiration to all of us landscapers. We can only hope to do a 10th as well as you have. I keep seeing you talking about houses upward of 20,000 sqft. That is crazy. The largest house in my surround three counties is an 8,XXX sq ft house 50 miles from me. Keep up the great work!