Lawn Care Forum banner

J.M Landscaping 2014

102K views 407 replies 38 participants last post by  Townhouse Yards 
#1 ·
So, new for this year, I changed my name to J.M Landscaping because it was more single family home friendly. This year I am planning on expanding out from townhouses. I still have my job at the plant nursery, and I do this part-time, while still in high school. It's a rainy day here, so i thought I would start off with a new picture thread and some pictures.
Here are a few shots of what I have equipment wise:

Stretcher Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Road surface

See less See more
#2 ·
Everybody has to start somewhere. Some people forget where they were when they first started. Personally I would stick with commercial trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc. Might be a little expensive at first but it will pay itself off in reliability. Good luck this season.

#3 ·
You have chosen the best stuff to start the business with...
Stihl is the best handheld equipment manufacturer IMO. I have a 600 magnum and a couple 4-mix trimmers. That Stihl hedge trimmer is great if you aren't doing too much hedge trimming. I would never use any other brand, I'm sure others would disagree though haha :)

Toro is another brand I use for snowblowers and mowers. Heck... I have your mower in a Lawn-Boy equivalent for mowing lawns that 32" walk-behind doesn't fit into. Great little thing for all the work I throw at it but it's starting to puff up some blue smoke so maybe a replacement soon...

Best of luck this season.

#5 ·
Everybody has to start somewhere. Some people forget where they were when they first started. Personally I would stick with commercial trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc. Might be a little expensive at first but it will pay itself off in reliability. Good luck this season.
It's not a bad start, IMO. I plan on adding a stihl trimmer later, i just don't have the need right now. The hedge trimmer is good little trimmer. Light and it doesn't make a ton of noise.

Good luck this season as well.

#6 ·
You have chosen the best stuff to start the business with...
Stihl is the best handheld equipment manufacturer IMO. I have a 600 magnum and a couple 4-mix trimmers. That Stihl hedge trimmer is great if you aren't doing too much hedge trimming. I would never use any other brand, I'm sure others would disagree though haha :)

Toro is another brand I use for snowblowers and mowers. Heck... I have your mower in a Lawn-Boy equivalent for mowing lawns that 32" walk-behind doesn't fit into. Great little thing for all the work I throw at it but it's starting to puff up some blue smoke so maybe a replacement soon...

Best of luck this season.
Thanks! I am in love with my Stihl equipment, and how great the dealer support is for them. I love my little Toro, it handles everything I throw at it. It will be getting a lot more use this coming year. Best of luck to you as well!

#7 ·
you have got one heck of a blower there!!!!!!!!! Some one liked mine so much they stole two of them form me =)
Thanks, and sorry that happened to you. I hope you can get them back, or get some replacements!

#10 ·
#14 ·
Ok, I can't get anything else to load besides the last after pictures. So, this is what it looks like now. Everything was ripped out, and the beds were mulched and edged. What do you all think? I am going back with a chain saw to take out all of the stumps, so those will be removed, and some plants will be going in the space in the fall.

Plant Building Window Tree Land lot

Plant Window Property Fixture Land lot

Wheel Plant Tire Car Plant community

#17 ·
Next up, I have spring cleanup/planting job, 4 or so mulch jobs, and possibly a full install. Looking like its going to be a full year.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
Things are looking up for me. Just got asked to bid on a gravel and paver installation, as well as a spring clean-up and mulch job. I am going to go look at a used 2005 Ford Ranger extended cab V6 4WD after school today. Hopefully that will work out, as I really need a truck. I will just have to see how it goes. Comments and questions are welcomed.

#19 ·
Good news. Just bought that Ford Ranger I was talking about. I will post a picture of that later in the week. This past weekend I had some mowing, leaf removal, and bed leveling all at one property. Next week, I put in some plants and mulch at the same place. I can't seem to get any pictures to load, so i will be looking at photobucket.

#22 ·
That's just how I started man! I was doing what you were doing in high school and used the same Toro mower! You're on the right path man and if you stick with it you can really have a good, solid business! Keep up the work
Thanks man, I really appreciate the encouragment. The little Toro has never let me down, amd I love it. I plan to stick with the business, and I hope to one day have a successful, all service company. Good luck this season!

#23 ·
People that have those old cans dont know how good they have it!
Oh yeah, all you can buy are the no-spill gas cans right? I had to buy one as a mix can. I never knew how lucky I was to have this older can.

#24 ·
Ok, I am going to try and post some before and afters of a small planting job I just finished up, as well as good picture of my new to me truck. I planted the arbor vitae and knockout roses last year, clients want to slowly add stuff to the bed. Hostas were there orginally.

Here are the before pictures:

Plant Brickwork Brick Road surface Building material

Plant Window Building Wood Road surface

Plant Property Window Flowerpot Building

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.