Lawn Care Forum banner
161 - 180 of 408 Posts
Discussion starter · #162 ·
Dude that mower will be great to you. The key is taking care of it all. Clean it, grease it, keep the fluids changed and air filter clean and it will last forever. Hydro is always the way to go.
Good score man .
Thanks man! I'll need to do some research after January to find out all the ins and outs of the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #163 ·
nice find I've been praying for something like that to come up near me. I cant even find a used hydro 36 not to mention an exmark (my preference) got my self a bit of mower envy
Don't worry man, I'm sure something will come your way. I was casually looking for a 36 for over a year, but wasn't really serious until November. Glad I waited for longer!
Posted via Mobile Device

Congrats! It needs a bath though. Now you need the trailer.

Congratulations on the mower! :clapping: Exmark makes a great mower and yours will serve you as long as you need it for. Thats about as good as it gets for your first commercial mower! My first was a $200 jacobsen fixed deck belt drive 36" so your off to a great start. :)

As for the sulky, make sure you get a 2 wheel. The one wheeled are much cheaper but leave an ugly line in the stripe, and are more fatiguing to use.

Personally, I would say no on the mulch kit. It will slow you down in thick lush spring grass. Just get a bagger for leaves like the one in the pics on the previous page if you are concerned about fall cleanup.

You will never get major clumps with side discharge with that mower. The engine is plenty powerful for that size deck.

Ocdc's are great for keeping grass out of beds and away from cars (from what I hear) I can't give true advice on them since i dont have one on my mowers, but they sure look nice to have.

Did you end up getting the bagger in the deal?

Again Congrats! I bet you can't wait for spring now!

Well, I now own the viking!! Here's some pics. I'll need some advice later about ocdc's, sulkies, and mulch kits.
congrats on the mower i agree with jlc on the ocdc but most you can't put the bagger on once you install the ocdc. i run scabs but my buddy who i work for when he's behind runs exmarks and they do a fine jobs with the discharge grass unless it is tall thick and wet now i don't know about the latest decks exmark has because the newest exmark I've used its 2 or 3 years old also how do you like the mower in the back of the ranger. there a guys who does the same thing with his 36 exmark tt i think his name on here is land fakes go check it out he did a really cool job with his ranger setup heres a link

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=408702

best of luck
Matt

Discussion starter · #168 ·
Congrats! It needs a bath though. Now you need the trailer.
Thanks! I'll get it a bath soon. I'm still unsure about what size I want, but nothing bigger than a 6x12.
Congratulations on the mower! :clapping: Exmark makes a great mower and yours will serve you as long as you need it for. Thats about as good as it gets for your first commercial mower! My first was a $200 jacobsen fixed deck belt drive 36" so your off to a great start. :)

As for the sulky, make sure you get a 2 wheel. The one wheeled are much cheaper but leave an ugly line in the stripe, and are more fatiguing to use.

Personally, I would say no on the mulch kit. It will slow you down in thick lush spring grass. Just get a bagger for leaves like the one in the pics on the previous page if you are concerned about fall cleanup.

You will never get major clumps with side discharge with that mower. The engine is plenty powerful for that size deck.

Ocdc's are great for keeping grass out of beds and away from cars (from what I hear) I can't give true advice on them since i dont have one on my mowers, but they sure look nice to have.

Did you end up getting the bagger in the deal?

Again Congrats! I bet you can't wait for spring now!
Thank you! What two wheel sulky do you recommend? Also, will it come with a chain to hold it up when I want to just walk?
How expensive are ocdc's do you figure? I'm kind of bummed about the mulch kit, but it makes sense. Side discharge for the summer it is! I bag most of April and a little bit in May, then I make the transition to mulching or in this case, side discharge. I did end up getting the bagger in the deal, but it is quite beat up, but will do in a pinch i guess. Also, no I can't wait for the spring!!!
congrats on the mower i agree with jlc on the ocdc but most you can't put the bagger on once you install the ocdc. i run scabs but my buddy who i work for when he's behind runs exmarks and they do a fine jobs with the discharge grass unless it is tall thick and wet now i don't know about the latest decks exmark has because the newest exmark I've used its 2 or 3 years old also how do you like the mower in the back of the ranger. there a guys who does the same thing with his 36 exmark tt i think his name on here is land fakes go check it out he did a really cool job with his ranger setup heres a link

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=408702

best of luck
Matt
Thanks Matt! I'm thinking I'll just bag for the spring growth then switch to discharge in mid may. I'll probably get an ocdc for the summer, but I'll focus on a sulky first. If you use one on your swzt, do you mind telling me what brand it is and why you like it? This Viking is from 2008, so its an older style of deck. I actually like the Viking in the Ranger. Ranger rides really solidly, no sagging, and it's compact and I probably get better mpg than if I was towing a trailer. I knew about LandFakers, I've talked to him a couple times about his ranger set-up and exmark turf tracers. He's a really nice guy with a lot of great info.

Thanks! I'll get it a bath soon. I'm still unsure about what size I want, but nothing bigger than a 6x12.

Thank you! What two wheel sulky do you recommend? Also, will it come with a chain to hold it up when I want to just walk?
How expensive are ocdc's do you figure? I'm kind of bummed about the mulch kit, but it makes sense. Side discharge for the summer it is! I bag most of April and a little bit in May, then I make the transition to mulching or in this case, side discharge. I did end up getting the bagger in the deal, but it is quite beat up, but will do in a pinch i guess. Also, no I can't wait for the spring!!!

Thanks Matt! I'm thinking I'll just bag for the spring growth then switch to discharge in mid may. I'll probably get an ocdc for the summer, but I'll focus on a sulky first. If you use one on your swzt, do you mind telling me what brand it is and why you like it? This Viking is from 2008, so its an older style of deck. I actually like the Viking in the Ranger. Ranger rides really solidly, no sagging, and it's compact and I probably get better mpg than if I was towing a trailer. I knew about LandFakers, I've talked to him a couple times about his ranger set-up and exmark turf tracers. He's a really nice guy with a lot of great info.
i have a wright velki its $380 i think also icdc are about $200 now i know a lot of guys on here are saying get the biggest trailer you can and don't get on from big box stores i have a 7x12 with side ramp from tractor supply it works for me i just have a lot of rustolium spray paint that at the end of every mounth i go out and touch up paint all the exposed metal i see if i was you id look at a 7x12 side ramp or a 6x10 high side grow in to it and then up grade a bunch of guys on here like jlc have markets that are getting bigger every year so if your market is already established and you not expecting to grow rapidly go with what you think is best
best of luck

Discussion starter · #170 ·
Hey guys, whenever I engage the parking brake, the machine shuts off. Is that normal?
Cutshort, I'll reply to you once I get on my computer. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey guys, whenever I engage the parking brake, the machine shuts off. Is that normal?
Cutshort, I'll reply to you once I get on my computer. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
to disengage (take it off) the parking brake, I assume your hand would have to be on the safety? But, if you put it on and it cuts off, that is not normal. blades on?

On my one walk behind sometimes I had to wiggle the gear shifter around. I think my safety to tell the mower I was in neutral was intermittently bad. I think if it is shutting off when the break is engaged one of the safeties isn't right (I.E. Neutral, PTO, etc)

Discussion starter · #174 ·
i have a wright velki its $380 i think also icdc are about $200 now i know a lot of guys on here are saying get the biggest trailer you can and don't get on from big box stores i have a 7x12 with side ramp from tractor supply it works for me i just have a lot of rustolium spray paint that at the end of every mounth i go out and touch up paint all the exposed metal i see if i was you id look at a 7x12 side ramp or a 6x10 high side grow in to it and then up grade a bunch of guys on here like jlc have markets that are getting bigger every year so if your market is already established and you not expecting to grow rapidly go with what you think is best
best of luck
OK, i'll check out the wright velke. What about the trimmer trap or havener enterprises one? I've heard good stuff about those models. I think I'll start a separate thread on my questions for accessories.
In regards to the trailer, I'm going to delay getting one anytime before the spring. But, thank you for your advice.

Discussion starter · #175 ·
I would say it's normal if the machine is in gear.
to disengage (take it off) the parking brake, I assume your hand would have to be on the safety? But, if you put it on and it cuts off, that is not normal. blades on?
On my one walk behind sometimes I had to wiggle the gear shifter around. I think my safety to tell the mower I was in neutral was intermittently bad. I think if it is shutting off when the break is engaged one of the safeties isn't right (I.E. Neutral, PTO, etc)
So, the machine won't turn on unless the parking brake is disengaged. And it instantly turns off if I engage the parking brake. Both times the drive lever has been in the neutral position. Kawi guy, the blades were not turned on at all when the machine shut off.

So, the machine won't turn on unless the parking brake is disengaged. And it instantly turns off if I engage the parking brake. Both times the drive lever has been in the neutral position. Kawi guy, the blades were not turned on at all when the machine shut off.
It's Probly something stupid like a fuse or something like that Call your dealer and explain to them they should be able to tell you what it is
Posted via Mobile Device

Discussion starter · #177 ·
It's Probly something stupid like a fuse or something like that Call your dealer and explain to them they should be able to tell you what it is
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok, I'll be sure to do that. Thank you!

Im a little bit late on this reply, but I bought the Havener sulky and have it on my 36" turf tracer. It works great for me, haven't had any tire issues or anything. If I remember correctly, the reason I bought it was because it was the cheapest available at the time lol.
Mine look like this: http://havenerent.com/product/mower-sulky-two-wheel-sulky-ts2000/ I paid about $180 for it on ebay though.

If you go with Havener, I would spend the extra $$ and get this one: http://havenerent.com/product/mower-sulky-two-wheel-sulky-with-latch-ts2006/ The latch is VERY nice to have.

Also, I agree with the others on the parking brake issue. It is most definitely an electrical issue with the safeties. Exmark is a bit crazy with safeties lol.

I would guess based on what you said, that the neutral position is not registering with the parking break. it is wired so that if you shift into drive with the parking brake on, it kills the engine. There is a short somewhere in there.

Best of luck.

How big is the bed on your ranger
Posted via Mobile Device

161 - 180 of 408 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.