1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

JD 345 20HP Kaw FD611V ignition problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dutch1, May 16, 2008.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Problem: Trouble shooting on a neighbors JD 345. It has a Kaw FD611V WC engine. Neighbor reports it has been hard starting for a while but has ran irregularly when hot. He brought it down today while hot. I gave it full throttle several times and most of the time it fell on it's face. Put a spark checker and repeated the full throttle scenario. When it just started to accelerate spark disappeared. I pulled both plug wires one at a time and the engine runs well on one cylinder at idle and starting into acceleration mode. The engine has an igniter and I have heard that it has been the source of this type of ignition problem.

I'm looking for confirmation from someone who has had a similar problem or from a JD jockey who can confirm my analysis. I'm convinced that the coil(s) are not the problem.

Dutch

2. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

you might want to check if it has a delay module. the main ignition modules do go out, but not very often.

also check battery voltage. most of these engines use a 12 volt ignition like a car and if the voltage is low the spark will die at higher rpm's.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dutch,

I'm not a JD Jock but do know a little about Kawasakis.....[​IMG]

The igniter does control spark so performing the below test will either show it being the problem or eliminate it.

[​IMG]

Good Luck

4. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Thanks Rob. You did better for me than I did for you.

I don't own a Kaw specific tool. All I have is a Fluke VOM. In your experience do you feel that the Fluke will suffice? Am I going to be over battery powered as the service manual suggests or obtain unusable results?

That igniter is in the vicinity of $245 so I don't want to blow it away unnecessarily.

That a bunch of tests to check the integrity of the igniter. For an old fart like me, I'm not sure I can keep things straight.

Dutch

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dutch,

I'm not sure about using a Fluke, I had mine stolen years ago and never got off the wallet and replaced it. I use a Radio Shack brand now and have used a few Taiwan meters. The readings may be a couple points off but I have always found a drastic difference in readings to confirm it bad.

What I do is print out the test chart then write my readings below the spec I'm testing then go back and compare (I'm not a spring chicken either), In most cases I find a drastic difference within the first four test and deem it bad ceasing any further testing.

Cya

6. dutch1

from Jayhawk

That's exactly what I had in mind when I printed the test procedure last night. Wiil do the test and let you know what happens. Your help with the information is greatly appreciated.

Dutch