1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

jd 400 oil drain fitting question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rbig, Jun 5, 2005.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

The JD 400s seem to have two different designs for the fittings where you drain the oil.

One type is definitely a cap, and it has to be screwed completely off.

One I found today that I haven't worked with before is a fitting with a T bar on the outer face of a cap. I was able to turn the T bar fitting enough to get oil dribbling out.

Given the tight clearances and the fact this fitting is "buried" behind a hole in the frame, I'm not sure I'd ever get it back on again if I took it off.

My question is: do I need to take it off to drain the oil reasonably quickly? Is there a stop of some kind to help keep me from inadvertently running it all the way off? Is there a downward looking hole that turning the T bar outward clears progressively, so that more fluid will come out the more turns I give the T bar?

If for some reason I have to run the t bar cap all the way off to get a reasonably fast fluid drain, I may be in trouble with getting it back on.

Anyone been there done this that can give me some help on this?