1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

JD 455 loses power when heading uphill

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by paulujj, May 4, 2005.

1. paulujj

paulujj LawnSite Member

Hi there. I'm new to this so bear with me.
    Recently purchased a 2nd hand JD 455 2WS, 22 HP Yannie. '99 model with 500 hours.
    Starts & goes well straight away - very happy going up hill & down dale. However after 30 minutes - 2 hours, it suddenly decides that going uphill is a little too hard & responds by almost, but not quite, cutting out. I'd say power loss is 90%. Engine never actually stalls. Seems the fuller the tank the longer it takes for the problem to start.
    Having PTO on or not makes no difference. Recovers briefly after 1 minute or so, but quickly loses power again. Because it can still move (very slowly), I head for level ground or downhill - presto, it fires up again & runs normally.
    Have changed fuel filter & drained tank. Cleaned uptake filter in tank as well. Could it be as simple as needing to loosen the fuel cap?
    I think it may be carby or fuel-line related, but would appreciate some input from the experts here, before I give up & go through the pain of carting it to be serviced.

Cheers, Paul.

2. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Read the post 12 lines down.

3. paulujj

paulujj LawnSite Member

Thanks, saw that thread. Yes it sounds similar, though I don't actually stall, & it can take some time before the problem appears. Thought there may be something specific to the Yannie I should be aware of. Oh well, might have to get her seviced by someone more qualified.
    Cheers, Paul.