1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD 653 decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mark2, Mar 30, 2002.

1. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

This may be a crazy question but I thought I could get a quick answer. I need to get it off my mind and can't wait till dealer opens monday.

I am looking at a John Deere 653 Z. I did not have a tape to measure but I think it has a 53 or 54" deck. Does anyone know what comes standard or if it is a 50 something deck can a larger deck be purchased and put on it.

It was dark and I didn't even check what horse the engine was.

Good unit though and a sweet deal.

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

3. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Judging by their site. It looks like they don't offer a 60" on the 653. I guess it wont fit or maybe they think its not enough horses.

JD really don't have options like some other co's. I thought it was suprising that they offer the compare to other mowers feature. I compared for the fun of it and found that they are just average not really any stand out features.

I suppose that even if a 60" deck would fit they would want the price of a new mower for it.

It's still a good deal. I wish the guy would have had the since to get a 60. He was cutting 5 acres of smooth wide open area.

4. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the M653 is a 23hp w/ 54" deck, M655 is 25hp w/ 54" deck, M665 is 25hp w/ 60" deck. I have the M653 and love it. The six inches did not help enough to justify paying alittle more. you will not be dissapointed with any of them.