1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

JD 757 VS Scag Turf Tiger

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pwood, Jun 24, 2004.

1. pwood

pwood LawnSite Member

I am in the market to buy a new ZTR and have narrowed it down to the JD 757 - 60" 25Kaw and the Scag Turf Tiger - 61" 27 Kohler. I demo'd both and I think the power and cut are pretty much the same.

The 757 - seems to ride better and is $800 cheaper. The only problem I had with it was the amount of clippings that it threw back on you. The dealer is changing the blades to a different type and I am going to demo it again. The motor also backfired every time it was shut down.
    The Scag - performed well. It did have a bumpy ride and it got stuck once. But for the most part it ran trouble free.

Both of these ZTR's are a far cry from what I am used to. I currently cut everything with an International cub w/42" belly mower, 30" sears rider, 24" Kee and a 22' Lawn Boy.

I am more concerned about durability. I am mowing about 9 acres with lots of trees and shrubs. This is a big purchase for me and I would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks for your help.

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i would say choose a dealer which is the best dealer?

3. WINGNUT

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

On the Deere----shut your throttle down and let the mower idle for 2 or 3 min. before shutting it down. My GS30 did the same thing. When I let it sit at idle for a couple of min., no backfire. Don't know why, but it does work.

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

there is to much fuel in the exhaust port i am guessing when you are running it wide open it probley could be leaned out a little but

5. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

A local dealer told me to rev the engine, then shut it down immediately. It had something to do with low pressure and high pressure jets or something. All I know is it worked for me. Backfires gone!

6. pwood

pwood LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I've decided on the JD 757 60" due to the price - $8,000 and it was more comfortable. I really liked the Scag better but the savings on the JD made the difference. The dealer resolved the backfiring on the demo with a fuel/air adjustment. Now I hope the JD performs.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Pwood