• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

JD 7H17 hydro WB

giantsean

LawnSite Member
Hi All,

Was in the market for a hydro WB and found this one come up on FB Marketplace for $1200 obo. Probably a 2004 model, 17hp Kawa, floods but probably needs a carb service, no hour meter, no sulky (I know you need a bracket kit for one), with a grass catcher. Looks pretty clean overall but from online experiences, one either loves or hates them. Parts seem a little on the expensive side but are they still available? Any overall impressions or thoughts on this model and the deal? Do they age well?

Thx!

1600302174998.png

CrumbaughJ

LawnSite Member
Hi All,

Was in the market for a hydro WB and found this one come up on FB Marketplace for $1200 obo. Probably a 2004 model, 17hp Kawa, floods but probably needs a carb service, no hour meter, no sulky (I know you need a bracket kit for one), with a grass catcher. Looks pretty clean overall but from online experiences, one either loves or hates them. Parts seem a little on the expensive side but are they still available? Any overall impressions or thoughts on this model and the deal? Do they age well?

Thx!

View attachment 409151
I rebuilt and sold one last winter for $1,600. I found it to be a very solid machine, built like a tank. I would say it was even built stronger than the current John Deere walk behinds. I needed quite a few parts for mine and did not run into any issues on availability. The online parts catalog was very handy. Mine also had a hour meter so I expect this one should. I didn't want to pay the high price for the hitch bracket so I made my own with angle iron and square pipe clamps for a very reasonable cost. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.