1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

JD 920M PTO Clutch/Switch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Michael Ray, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

My switch to engage the blades wasn't working well at all today but I did get it to work. At one point I looked at the ignition and it gave 5-6 blinks. According to the book it's a problem with the wiring for the clutch. Any tips on trouble areas before I dig in?

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Of course look for bare areas, loose connections, corroded connectors...

BigFish and Koehn's Lawn Service like this.
  3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Start by checking your grounds for integrity , then check the harness for evidence of overheated/melted connections and plugs etc especially by the clutch as @hal mentioned.
    Not sure what your manual describes but here is what I found for the two codes:
    6-This code indicates that an open circuit exists between the PTO output from the module and the clutch coil ground.
    Inspect for a poor connection between switch contacts in the PTO switch, or an intermittent/open circuit in the harness connections between the module and the PTO clutch, or an open circuit in the PTO clutch coil winding.
    5-This code indicates that there is excessive current through the PTO circuit.
    Inspect electrical harness for pinched, chafed, or frayed wires.

BigFish likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

Thanks. Hopefully it's just a bad ground. Good call.

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya wanna double check the switch plug/connector and switch terminals, usually a trouble spot fer looseness, arcing/overheating, etc.
    Could be a bad diode also. ( if it has one, dunno bout yer specific unit)

Walker56 and Breezmeister like this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

could just be a bad switch. they make all of them like crap these days. if it works when you wiggle it then that's the problem. you need a new pto switch.

Doc8406 and Breezmeister like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

There was a connection just above the frame that I separated, cleaned and regreased with dialetric grease. Seems resolved. Lots of dirt in there.

8. OP
    OP
    Michael Ray

Update, sucker is giving me issues again. Took a few things apart and I'm pretty sure it's the switch. Ordered another for $24. Will update.

hort101 likes this.
  9. robmints

robmints LawnSite Member

I know the switches are cheap, and a good way to diagnose without much time or money invested. A few things I would look at if the problem comes back. Current draw, resistance through the windings, air gap, and the inline diode. And also take a little whiff for burnt potting compound while you are poking around.

10. greenleafgreenscapes

greenleafgreenscapes LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wi

If you don't have the new switch but have the round pull out one you can get the new one. Plug in is same.