JD 997 Spindles exploding

Chuck wilkins

LawnSite Member
I have A John Deere 997 mower with 72 in. Deck. First 1000hrs not a minutes problem. I have now replaced spindles 5 times in less the 100hr. The castings explode (shattered) one lasted less then 3hrs. Dealership inspected and replaced the last one and could not find any thing wrong. Any ideas?
Oh I forgot to add, you can get every part for the spindle except for the housing. Leaving me with $230 something bill to replace.

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
I have A John Deere 997 mower with 72 in. Deck. First 1000hrs not a minutes problem. I have now replaced spindles 5 times in less the 100hr. The castings explode (shattered) one lasted less then 3hrs. Dealership inspected and replaced the last one and could not find any thing wrong. Any ideas?
Oh I forgot to add, you can get every part for the spindle except for the housing. Leaving me with $230 something bill to replace.
Hi Chuck, welcome to the site.
Thats nuts. I'm coming up on 3000hrs on my 997 with the original spindles (knock wood).
Possibly faulty manufacturing?
Also, I presume you are greasing them up after installation?
The deck belt and blade bolts are not overly tight?

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
This post certainly has me curious. I have no guess. Hopefully one of the mechanics on here might have an idea. In the meantime, I don't think I would buy any more at your dealer. I think you can get spindles on Amazon a heck of a lot cheaper.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
After the dealer completed the repair, did you notice any difference. I am wondering if washers or blade spacers were placed incorrectly causing pressure on the housing instead of the bearing surface. If it was my machine, I would remove the deck belt and spin by hand each blade. If you're into turning wrenches, maybe bring the mower to a different shop to be checked. Good luck and please update the final results.